Author Topic: Capacity of older Milodon 9 inch deep front sump pan  (Read 2150 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Capacity of older Milodon 9 inch deep front sump pan
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:44:10 PM »
Anyone ever run one, cool old and very deep pan,  9 inches at front, embossed Flying M on front edge. I assume 9 quarts with filter but could easily be 10. Will call Milodon but hoping someone ran or runs one

Thanks!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Capacity of older Milodon 9 inch deep front sump pan
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 04:54:02 PM »
I am guessing 10 with filter, we will see this week. 2 inches x 7.5 x 10 holds about 2.5 quarts. That’s about how much bigger than a 7 inch deep version. Will soon find out
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »
Just guessing here, Ross.

The factory deep sump pan measures 7.5" deep and holds 6 quarts.
The Canton race pan measures 7.5" deep and also holds 6 quarts.
The Milodon race pan measures 8" deep and holds 7 quarts.

Figuring that most deep sump race pans are basically square and have the same general volume for the given area (unlike the stock pan which has an angle to it, changing the volume), I'd guess the pan holds roughly 9 quarts. All the above does not include filter capacity, so I'd guess you are spot on.

9" is pretty deep. I'd be leery of using it on anything other than a truck or gasser style car, but I'm sure you already know that.

I spent all morning measuring pan depths to order a new deep sump pan for my car, so it's kind of ironic that you posted this question today. Side note: Summit and Jegs did not have the Canton pan that I wanted, but Amazon did...and it was cheaper. Go figure. They also had the Canton oil accumulator, electric solenoid kit, mounting brackets and pressure cut-off switch that I needed, and all cheaper than Summit, and all Prime deals. Is Amazon going to be the new performance parts dealer?  ???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:49:36 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 07:12:35 AM »
Thanks Doug, it's a big one alright

It's off the car, which is a documented racer from the old days, so he is trying to keep it (and has run it in the past).  He certainly won't have an oil capacity issue

I am going to call Milodon today and see if they have any old info.

Here's the almost finished product, some detailing to do, prelube it, give it a once-over and make some noise!

Ross

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »
Very nice, Ross! That pan is pretty cool. I've never seen one like it.

Is there some sort of coating or clear on the TW? It has a sheen to it. Just curious what you used.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 10:23:01 AM »
Just had a cool conversation with Tom at Milodon, he remembered the oil pan well and grabbed an early 80s catalog off the shelf.  9 quarts in the pan, 1 in the filter. NOTE: dipstick will not read correctly and needs to be remarked.  Couldn't have been easier

The TW is powdercoated, owner did it, it looks nice and is a very close match to the Alumacast spray paint on the neck and valley pan. The linkage and log is Drew's and is really beautifull.
Ross

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »
I still run the 9qt pan on the wagon, thus it gets smacked every time it comes down a bit too hard.  I was going to replace it once, but they don't list it anymore.

I put 10 qts in it and it reads short on the factory dipstick, but I know it won't be starving for oil!!!
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
I still run the 9qt pan on the wagon, thus it gets smacked every time it comes down a bit too hard.  I was going to replace it once, but they don't list it anymore.

I put 10 qts in it and it reads short on the factory dipstick, but I know it won't be starving for oil!!!

Thanks!  I agree on the oil capacity, could fill the valve covers and have more to spare LOL
Ross

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »
You don't need to run anywhere near that much oil. Put six in it and keep the level away from the crank. That is what it is meant for. The pickup tube goes down to the bottom. The dipstick should be a longer one, the factory marking should be about two inches above where i'd ever run that.

The T pans don't work like that, run those with four quarts and you may uncover the pickup tube.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
My dad ran one of those exact same pans back in the late 80's early 90's. 10 quart capacity as you mentioned above. I've heard this story 300 times (typical dad story) so it's burnt into my brain.....could drive home from work and get the engine entirely hot, dump the oil and you could hold your finger in the oil stream. You won't ever have an oil starvation problem, but you may have a problem getting the oil up to a good operating temp.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:32:12 PM »
My dad ran one of those exact same pans back in the late 80's early 90's. 10 quart capacity as you mentioned above. I've heard this story 300 times (typical dad story) so it's burnt into my brain.....could drive home from work and get the engine entirely hot, dump the oil and you could hold your finger in the oil stream. You won't ever have an oil starvation problem, but you may have a problem getting the oil up to a good operating temp.

That's wild, not a great thing for getting water out of the system.  However, with today's HR and 10w30, the good thing is the oil will still drain back easy
Ross

plovett

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »
That Tunnel Wedge looks really good! 

paulie