Author Topic: Anyone here do chrome plating?  (Read 3457 times)

FElony

Re: Anyone here do chrome plating?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
I kind of agree with Drew. Polished aluminum is very close to chrome in appearance but in my opinion never gets the true shiny/polished mirror like finish.
I've got a quite complete polishing process here and normally sand to 3000 grit then go thru 3 or 4 steps of compound. It is time consuming but once you are setup
the only cost is time. It is a sense of satisfaction once you see the finished product. I've even restored deteriorated chrome.
Richard   

Whatcha puttin' on after polishing?

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Felony: right now I clean with lacquer thinner then use either liquid ebony or the 3000S in the picture. Clean again then use the race glaze polish/sealant. So far pretty good life on the finish. I'm also going to try the Aluminum brightener and the Kit paste wax. 
Richard

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 01:10:50 PM »
I like to use Simichrome polish with a wool or foam polishing pad on my pneumatic mini buffer.. I hit my centerlines once a year on my Galaxie and they shine like Chrome.

FElony

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »
I was thinking maybe clear powder coat to seal in that hard work. I was also thinking white high-heat powder coat on the inside to cut down the heat transfer.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
I have found that clear powder coat over polished aluminum comes out looking yellow.

FElony

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
I have found that clear powder coat over polished aluminum comes out looking yellow.

Bummer. Do you remember the brand? Some sellers are touting crystal clear over any surface.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
Yes, it was Eastwood. This was a few years ago so there may be better powder out by now. You could try a test piece to know for sure.