Author Topic: Anyone here do chrome plating?  (Read 3459 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Anyone here do chrome plating?
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »
I need a set of valve covers chromed and I'd like to support some FE members if I could.  If no one does it, anyone have a recommendation for a shop?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Anyone here do chrome plating?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »
I haven’t gone down that wormhole yet.

I would suggest Atlantic Coast Plating just south of you.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 11:07:35 PM »
I experienced great results with Advanced Plating, Nashville,TN.

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:40:06 AM »
Sandy's Bumper Mart in Syracuse, NY does nice work. They've done a few things for me that I couldn't plate at our shop. If the valve covers were polished I could plate them for you. I'm sure you can find a plating shop in your neck of the woods that can help you out.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 06:39:54 AM »
I highly recommend J&P Custom Plating in Portland IN. They chrome plated a number of aluminum trim parts for my Starliner which were originally bright anodize, just beautiful!!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:18:42 AM »
I received my first quote...…..

$650 !!!???!!! 

What's normal for chroming a set of valve covers?  I was thinking maybe $250-300?  For $650, they will receive a very nice coat of paint LOL
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 08:07:04 AM »
Wow
I just had an entire bumper straightened and rechromed for $500.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
I paid $165 to have my door handles re-chromed back around 2014 by a shop here in town. I had one valve cover chromed in 2018 by another shop and he charged $250 or $275. I took a pair to him and he picked the one he liked. He also did my bumpers too. Bought the other chrome VC from Bruce S.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »
There is a difference in chroming jobs though. Some guys go through many steps to get show quality/deep chrome. Others just flash chrome and are cheap. Maybe talking with different chromers about the type of job they do would help you. I imagine quality conscious houses would not do anything to cast bad juju on their reputation.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »

$650 !!!???!!! 

What's normal for chroming a set of valve covers?  I was thinking maybe $250-300?  For $650, they will receive a very nice coat of paint LOL

Yeah I ran into that when deciding what to do with my valve covers.  There is a facility 3 miles up the road from us that I used for years to do black oxide, zinc, nickel-teflon, electroless nickel, trivalent chromate, you name it.  They stopped doing decorative chrome 2 years ago because it became so expensive due to EPA regulations and nobody was willing to pay for it (their words).

Other places quoted me between $300 and $600 to chrome the valve covers.  It's ridiculous, because I used to get complicated tooling coated with TiN and TDC2 for like $30-$40 a detail though it was far less surface prep.

Screw that.  I was very, very tempted to use Alsa Easy Chrome, which is a high solids metallic paint that is good to 800f.  The videos look too good to be true, but reviews are fantastic.  Instead I'm just having them powder coated to match everything else under the hood.  I'd prefer chrome but I can't justify a $2500 budget to chrome everything I want done.  I will try the easy chrome at some point just to see how it works out...

https://alsacorp.com/product/easy-chrome/

Another cool one to check out is Steel-IT:
https://www.steel-it.com/

I've had some medical device customers require this over the years.  It is neat stuff but has a very specific painting procedure.  You can polish it.  It's not chrome, but it has a neat industrial stainless look to it, and is high-temp rated (1200f, not header-worthy obviously...)

There is a difference in chroming jobs though. Some guys go through many steps to get show quality/deep chrome. Others just flash chrome and are cheap. Maybe talking with different chromers about the type of job they do would help you. I imagine quality conscious houses would not do anything to cast bad juju on their reputation.

That is very true.  The high-end chrome shops have to bring the surface to a consistent finish, everywhere, before building the chrome layers.  A single flash chrome or TDC is cheap because there is very little surface prep done prior. 

Most of the money is in prep labor.  But, it is still very expensive to do chemical and electrochemical coatings these days.  I *may or may not* know of a few backyard pig trough / car battery operations that are clearly not up to EPA regs, but I'm afraid to do business with them. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:07:59 PM by CV355 »

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
Not answering your question but rather, which type VC are you looking to chrome?
I've collected a pretty good variety of chromed VC's may be able to save the chroming cost.

Richard

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
Ajax plating in Denver is who I used for a set of Chris Craft valve covers. He is an FE guy and when you bring FE parts in there he lights up. Hard to get a hold of, works there like 1-2 days a week I think, or at least he only mans the phone and storefront 1-2 days a week. If I remember correctly, price was around $300, maybe $325.

Clean them up as good as you can before you send them off. Bead blast, then steel wool, and try to get the finish as nice as you can. The more time you put in up front the better they will turn out, the chrome shops only put so much time into them.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 11:08:29 AM »

$650 !!!???!!! 

$650 is definitely on the higher end but I'm not surprised. There is a lot of prep work before a part even sees chemistry. Think of all the nooks and crannies on a valve cover that have to be polished. Especially if a VC is blasted prior to.

After polishing, parts will get a high build of Acid copper. Polish again if needed. Then a high build of a Bright Ni followed by a "Flash Chrome".

Your probably looking at 2 hours of tank time and 4 hours of polishing depending on the condition of the VC's to start.

VHT in Ford blue is $9.99 and you can touch it up when you scratch it.  ;)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
Lol at the VHT comment.

Chrome plating costs are a fine advertisement for polished aluminum.
Kinda why I wanted that Brown feller to cast baldies instead of another set of pentroofs.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 04:42:03 PM »
I kind of agree with Drew. Polished aluminum is very close to chrome in appearance but in my opinion never gets the true shiny/polished mirror like finish.
I've got a quite complete polishing process here and normally sand to 3000 grit then go thru 3 or 4 steps of compound. It is time consuming but once you are setup
the only cost is time. It is a sense of satisfaction once you see the finished product. I've even restored deteriorated chrome.
Richard