Author Topic: Holley BJ/BK question  (Read 2443 times)

Tor

• View Profile
Holley BJ/BK question
« on: May 07, 2020, 02:00:19 AM »
Hello
On the balance tube between those 2 fuel bowls there is a O ring an a washer in both ends. The washer,is that made of metal ore is it a fiber stuff? What is the dimension of that washer.
According to Holleys recommendations the washer should be replaced when you have taken the carb apart. I bought a gasket kit,but I could not find a metal washer in it that would fit the balance tube. My carbs was missing those washer when i bought them.

Regards
Tor

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Holley BJ/BK question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:19:54 AM »
I'm not aware of any metal washers, on the originals or the repro BJ/BK's. The rubber O ring is the only thing that seals the tube.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:21:18 AM »
I think the washer is brass. I pulled one from a carb here and measured, it’s.0165” thick and .305” O.D. I have not seen replacements included in a rebuild kit, but it’s possible they were years ago when there were more carb specific kits available. You can find the brass washers sometimes in other old carbs that aren’t as desirable as the Ford Holleys and raid them. I tried and a #8 machine screw fits pretty well through the I.D., so you might be able to find a thin #8 washer that will work.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:33:02 AM »
I'm not aware of any metal washers, on the originals or the repro BJ/BK's. The rubber O ring is the only thing that seals the tube.

On the original Ford Holley C3AE-BJ/BK’s, C3AE-C’s, and some other old Holleys there is a small brass tube that runs between the primary & secondary float bowls. They use a small o-ring and there is a small recess in the main body for the o-ring, and a brass washer that seems to serve to compress the o-ring into the recess properly. The small brass tube is in addition to the normal fuel transfer tube that runs between the float bowls. Here’s a picture:

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
I’ve taken apart 100 of them that didn’t have the washer and did not leak.
Also the modern fuel bowl gasket will need to be cut to fit the tube.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »

On the original Ford Holley C3AE-BJ/BK’s, C3AE-C’s, and some other old Holleys there is a small brass tube that runs between the primary & secondary float bowls. They use a small o-ring and there is a small recess in the main body for the o-ring, and a brass washer that seems to serve to compress the o-ring into the recess properly. The small brass tube is in addition to the normal fuel transfer tube that runs between the float bowls. Here’s a picture:

Interesting. I've never seen one in all the carbs I've had. I don't recall the NOS Service Replacement BJ/BK's that I had having one either, but can't say I looked specifically at that spot. I've never had a leak that wasn't due to a failed O ring, so it must not be a critical piece.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 11:30:50 AM »
Doug, a mixture screw needle and a touch of grease and they never leak.

Most of the washers disappeared decades ago as they have a tendency to stick to the gasket.

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 03:17:15 PM »
Hello
With other words, the washer isn't that important?

Tor

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »
I would prefer to phrase it differently...

Not “essential.”
(I’d still use one given the choice)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
I agree with Drew, use one if you can find one, if not try it but obviously watch for any leaks at that spot. When these carbs were designed the original gaskets were cork and weren’t very firm, and they didn’t hold up well very long. They had a tendency to shrink and “move” too. The washer was probably more critical back then. The new gaskets are more firm and a much better material. The actual Holley brand metering block gaskets to this day still have the hole for the small balance tube, and the bowl gaskets fit without any interference.

Here’s an old cork gasket. I’ve seen them shrunk much worse than this.

Kevin Rolph

1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:46:31 PM »
Hello again
Thanks fore help and info, i have 2 brass washer and miss 2,i will try to make 2 new ones and put the carbs together. Could there be a problem with galvanic corrosion if i use another material?

Tor
Norway

Keith M

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:58:35 PM »
Hello, I have mopar holley (I have way more ford holleys, haha) that has that brass transfer tube, was it there just to provide extra flow to the rear fuel bowl or? 

Thanks,
Keith

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
Another question,what was the purpose with this balance tube? Equal fuel level in both fuel bowls?

Tor

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
It was to balance the fuel level between the bowls.  That made no sense and you can understand why they did away with it without consequence.