Author Topic: Engine Decals  (Read 2254 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Engine Decals
« on: May 05, 2020, 07:46:36 AM »
Guys, does this photo look correct for 1966 engine decals?  From what I can see, the round decal on the front of the driver's side decal should be on the oil cap?????  And from other photos I can find, the white, square "maintenance" decal didn't show up on other engines.  Can anyone verify?

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Engine Decals
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »
Brent, I have an email to forward to you later when I get home.

In the end, a secret of some concours guys is to do oddball vehicles because they are less documented, it allows them to use a few pictures to document for the judges and unfamiliar judges need to use what they have.  Galaxies are certainly not oddball like some, but compared to a Mustang, they aren't nearly as well documented, not even the same playing field. 

That being said, there are a few things that I got this morning from a Galaxie guy that should help. 

However, body style does matter, so Fairlanes could be completely different and may have a bit more of a following to document.  67 Mustang is likely a completely different story with just a year and body difference, that and Shelbys, people know every chalk mark and over spray and run pattern

I'll send you what I have when I get home tonight. 

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
Good day Brent. This appears to be a Galaxie 7-LITRE engine compartment, is this correct?
I have had mine for decades...still a POS, but I like it anyway.
When I got it things were very untouched...worn out, but untouched.

The round sticker was centered on the oil breather/fill cover top.
The air cleaner lid sticker was on the outer rim, flat area. Not on the inner portion like in the photo.
The service sticker was on the drivers fender well, on the outer side of the fuel hose, near the plastic clamp, about 1/2 way between being next to the clamp and the top of the inner fender curve, positioned as to be read from the front of the car, not sideways as if standing with your body against the front fender. But not perfectly aligned either. I was stuck in the general area with some care, but not critical care.
There should also be a round sticker, centered, on the brake master cylinder cover.

This photos I see the air filter lid wing nut is so tight it has bent the lid. For 1966 the lid top is flat, not curved, with a slight recess for the wing nut.
I see other things too but I'll leave that go.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:53 PM »
Good eye!   I didn't notice the wing nut being too tight...LOL

So basically no decals on the valve covers, right? 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »
Brent: my set of completely original (greasy and grimy) VC's like that, have no stickers. I can't remember which engine/car they  are from. But certainly not a 428.
Cleandan: is that what an original air cleaner element looks like? Is that an original style air cleaner?
Richard
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:54:19 PM by FERoadster »

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »
Good eye!   I didn't notice the wing nut being too tight...LOL

So basically no decals on the valve covers, right?
As with all things Ford, between the years 1960 - 1973, if you happen to say, "Ford never did that" you will suddenly find out they did, at least once.
With that said, from my direct experience, the 1966 428's did not have valve cover stickers.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »
Brent: my set of completely original (greasy and grimy) VC's like that, have no stickers. I can't remember which engine/car they  are from. But certainly not a 428.
Cleandan: is that what an original air cleaner element looks like? Is that an original style air cleaner?
Richard
If your engine was equipped with the "low restriction" air filter housing the air filter looked very much like the one shown in the photo.
A somewhat creamy yellow, pleated element, orange foam encasing the ends, and a metal cage around the pleated element with circular holes.

The air filter top and bottom changed for 1966 and there were two versions of the same open element filter housing.
Chrome: Part of the engine dress up kit. This would have a chrome top with an engine blue bottom.
Standard" This would have both parts painted engine blue, otherwise the parts were the same between the chrome and painted versions.

If you look at places like Scott Drake, Summit, and others the chrome 14" filter housing they offer is usually the same basic design as the 1966 version...just crappier chrome and metal than originals, but often less rust than originals too.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:17:01 AM »
Richard
If your engine was equipped with the "low restriction" air filter housing the air filter looked very much like the one shown in the photo.
A somewhat creamy yellow, pleated element, orange foam encasing the ends, and a metal cage around the pleated element with circular holes.

The air filter top and bottom changed for 1966 and there were two versions of the same open element filter housing.
Chrome: Part of the engine dress up kit. This would have a chrome top with an engine blue bottom.
Standard" This would have both parts painted engine blue, otherwise the parts were the same between the chrome and painted versions.

If you look at places like Scott Drake, Summit, and others the chrome 14" filter housing they offer is usually the same basic design as the 1966 version...just crappier chrome and metal than originals, but often less rust than originals too.

Thank you sir for the info.

Was this "engine dress up kit" available for any engine offering that year?  352 as well?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 08:12:14 AM »
While we're talking about random engine questions, was the 352 offered in a '66 Fairlane, or just the Galaxie and F100?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 08:13:46 AM »
352 was not offered in Fairlanes or Mustangs any year.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 08:28:33 AM »
You'd think they would have offered it in the smaller vehicles instead of the boats LOL
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
Brent, I am not 100% certain how Ford technically went about dress up kits, but I believe the engine dress up kit could be dealer installed if so desired.

Because of this...(the kits were bolt on parts) it seems entirely plausible that any dealer, with any kind of maintenance shop, could install this if the buyer wanted it installed.

This also means any car, so long as a dress up kit was available for that engine, could be dressed up.

You are purchasing a 1966 Custom with a 352? And you want chrome valve covers and air cleaner...Well yes Sir, we can get that for you for an additional $47.29 installed.

I would bet on the order sheet there was an option box for (engine dress up kit) for all the offered engines.
Or, at the very least, if you knew about this kit you asked your salesman to check on the option.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »
Dress up kits originally were for the GT/performance version of engines in the different car lines.  Later they became a fad for several engines like the Falcon Sprint six cylinder, and Mavericks, etc. Open the hood and see a straight six with chrome valve cover and air cleaner lid.   Being period correct is only necessary for a Concours restoration, IMO.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500