Author Topic: i must have given away a small fortune.  (Read 3145 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
i must have given away a small fortune.
« on: April 30, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
i see a couple topics where people are looking for FE pulleys.my dad and uncle used to haul junk cars to the crusher back in the 70s-90s;my uncle would rob some of the fe stuff before they hauled them off.my uncle gave me a box of pulleys,all FE,big box,plum full of crank,water pump,ps,etc.im guessing 50-100 pulleys different sizes,1 belt,2 belts,and 3 belt pulleys.a guy came over looking for a single small pulley for his race car.at the time i was into other stuff besides old cars.i said hell,take the whole box.i will never use them.what a dummy i was.i see now people paying 40 dollars and up for 1 pulley
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: i must have given away a small fortune.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
Hey, don't feel bad. We all did this, regardless of the make or model for now old muscle cars: we took off the OEM air cleaners, emissions gear, heat shields, choke hot air stoves, etc. Easy to take off, improved the look, etc.

Then, we took off the OEM intakes, cast iron exhaust manifolds, clutch fans and more.

All ended up in the junkpile, for sure. Few of us ever thought of today's value of these parts to restorers, let alone the value of the entire car like Boss 2's, 9's, 428's, 428 CJ's and the like! Heck, for $20 grand in the mid-70's I could have bought a fleet of very fast muscle cars like a 440 Cuda, 428 CJ Stang, a genie Z-28, Boss 302, a Hemi Plymouth and more, likely 15-17 cars in all! 

Imagine today it's over $2K for the top dress on most old Ford V-8's in muscle cars. Can't even image the $5K+ for Boss 9 top end and cast iron exhausts!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:51:49 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »
I don't even want to think about it. Watched a 66 hemi Coronet (sans hemi), 289 K engine, 66 7 litre (sans 428) vert. all go for scrap. Oh well, different times for sure. I did manage to save a lot of stuff though including some cars. And then there was this guy that begged me to buy his Boss 9 for 7k. Hell that was more money than when it was new, I was no fool. Sure would have made for a nice retirement nest egg today. Yep, we all did it I'm sure everybody has a tale or two.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »
When I sold my mother's place after her death, I left a ton of FE and SBF parts in the 20 x 40 garage I had built back in '70.  I had moved four cars to TX, and hauled a truck load with U-Haul trailer full of parts, but just didn't think it was worth it to go back to SC for the rest of those spare parts.  Buckets of pulleys, brackets, rocker arm assys, C-4s, etc.  My cousin who bought the place has never mentioned what he did with all those parts.  I need some of those things all along and buying them now makes me shake my head at myself.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 02:37:00 PM »
Nobody has a crystal ball that is clear enough to make those choices.  Everything is perfectly clear in hindsight.  And besides, a lot of what we would like to have done would take funds.  And in reality, you'd be much better off with a stock investment.  You should have bought Apple stock back then.

So, the same deal will exist 40 years from now.  I will have died a while ago, so this doesn't work for me, but what would you buy today that is guaranteed to make you fabulously wealthy?  Buy up a bunch of Shelby 350 and 500s?  Maybe some of those Hellcats?  Some Corvettes, a couple Camaros?  What's stopping you from snapping these cars up for that reward down the road?

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 03:28:48 PM »
I'd be buying canadian real estate...global warming is real and getting worse. 100++ degrees in Tucson & Phoenix in APRIL!?

Plenty of water there too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:19:10 AM by Dumpling »

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
When I moved 700 miles North, form Orange Co, in '76, I had to throw my LR, long block, in a scrap pile where I worked, at the time.  :'( I did sell the heads to my brother for his 390 Fairlane but, I couldn't sell the rest of the 427 and it was accompanied by my MT X Ram manifold. I had thrown away the cast manifolds, long before that, of course.

One of my other regrets is that I didn't rent one of those Hertz GT 350's, to do a engine swap for my 271 HP 2+2. I didn't even think about it!!! Honesty doesn't get you much, I guess  ???
Frank

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »
I'm lucky, still have my small stash of pulleys and brackets.  All SBF stuff, no FE unfortunately.  But same - it'd be hell hunting it now and $$$ to replace.  Last time I was at the yard - at least 4 years now - they were asking $250 for a C4 core, IF you could find a decent one. 

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:09:27 PM »
Ugh. I bought a highland green 68 GT fastback, J code, 4-spd, posi, drove it home and put the drivetrain in a 64 Fairlane, then traded the body for a 390. Different times.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 10:48:21 AM »
I'm still getting FE's from the scrap yard. Usually from a PU and most of the time they have all of the accessories. One is waiting there for me now. Has a notch in the crank  (no half moon) and a T 4bbl. intake so most likely it's a 390. I'll probably get it for around $75.  From the engines I've gotten  here in SW Oregon I've got crates of pulleys,  brackets, Z-bars starters WP's and alternators. At least 7 PU bell housings.
From this post I'll probably keep them until someone needs something. Problem is I'm about 1500 miles west of Denver (road miles).
FERoadster

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 01:08:52 PM »
FERoadster, where are you in S/W OR? I'm near Medford.
Frank

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »
Brookings
A couple of pictures from our Deck and one of our favorite shoreline locations to have a lunch and a bottle of wine. Cliffs are about 60 ft. above the ocean
Richard

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm more of a inland person but, I love visiting the coast.

I'm been on the Gold Beach, jet boat about 4 times and I dated a woman in Hiochi for about a year. Went most weekends. A REALLY great drive, for a road racer ;)
Frank

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »
the worst part about the pulleys is i only gave them away a few years ago after keeping them for 25-30 years prior.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
I find myself buying stuff I threw away 35yrs ago.