Author Topic: CVF Pulleys  (Read 1228 times)

63.5xl

• View Profile
CVF Pulleys
« on: April 29, 2020, 09:03:52 AM »
Going to run dual alt belt on my street driven 63.5 390. I also have added Power steering and AC, so I need a couple of 3 groove pulley. Also I was looking a  I was looking at the CVF pulleys to purchase a 3 groove water pump and a 3 groove crank pulley. But they both only come in the 5.4" diameter. My pulley that I have for the FE are 6.5 on the crank pulley and 5.9 on the water pump pulley which gave it a 1.1 overdrive ratio, which are just some pulleys I found in some old parts I had but the are only 1 groove anyway. The crank pulley is the old original 390 harmonic balancer type with the integrated 3/8 pulley but I do not know what was on the water pump originally. Have no idea what was original on these cars 58 years ago. Also my Power steering, dual groove alt, and AC pulley are all 12mm as are the CVF pulleys.
Has anyone put 1 to 1 ratio for the water pump on their Street driven FE and had any cooling issues.
What ratio did Ford use on these back in the 60's?
I would like to get the combo right the 1st time rather that pull the fan and maybe radiator later to switch out the crank pulley.
so I am going to use two grooves of the water pump and crank pulley for the alt as I am running two belt on the 3G Alt. And then I am going to run the AC and PS belt together on the third groove of the water pump and Crank pulley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:04:51 AM by 63.5xl »

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Re: CVF Pulleys
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:49:50 AM »
Only 2 belts on water pump/alternator. 1 belt to Power steering. That's what I usually see.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:16:58 AM »
My crank and water pump pulleys are currently 1:1 ratio and stays cool.  May not be a good comparison because it’s a truck with a high volume water pump on a 482.

63.5xl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
Thanks TJ,
Have you drove it in the heat since you have been 1 to 1? I do have a tuff stuff 1421C water pump on mine.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 03:43:58 PM »
Thanks TJ,
Have you drove it in the heat since you have been 1 to 1? I do have a tuff stuff 1421C water pump on mine.

Hottest temps I’ve driven with this setup is low 90’s.  Towed 5 ton in the low 80’s. 

To be fair, I may be a best case scenario.  My truck does fine with a stock radiator and 6 blade belt driven fan.  I’ve seen lot of guys who felt they need electric fans and special made aluminum radiators.  Maybe it’s me, I don’t know.  My current motor (custom built) has always stayed close to my thermostat spec temp.  Previous motor (reman 390 from Jasper) got dang hot until it broke in and alway seemed plenty hot.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »
Common crank pulley diameters were 6.75”. Most water pump pulleys were smaller. So, most of the time the water pump was overdriven even if by a small margin. If you need it to be overdriven you would want to aim for 1.25 to 1 or better, ( 1.3 to 1 is nice ). I understand you don’t know yet if you are going to have a problem or not with one to one.  If you overdrive it now and motor is too cool you could go to a hotter thermostat.  I had to do just that with my Fairlane. I put a CVF 5.4 water pump pulley with a stock crank pulley and motor would not go over 180. I had to put in a 192 thermostat to  get motor hotter for torture sessions. Was not comfortable beating on it at 180.

JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’