Author Topic: Anyone use these header gaskets? Flat out  (Read 2300 times)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Anyone use these header gaskets? Flat out
« on: April 17, 2020, 07:49:40 AM »
I chose them because the port sizes matched up very well with my Crites headers and Barry’s CNC heads. I previously used Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal with mixed success.

JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.55@125.74 1.46 60’

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Anyone use these header gaskets? Flat out
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 12:02:59 PM »
I said it before. I never use header gaskets just silicone
had not had a leak since i started with that

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
I said it before. I never use header gaskets just silicone
had not had a leak since i started with that

That's true.  It's just not practical for all cars.  Installing headers on a unibody (Mustang/Fairlane) is now being used as a psychiatric test for mental toughness.  Gaskets are about the only reasonable way to install headers on those cars because of how hard it is to get the header bolted to the flange.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
I have used flat out intake gaskets, good port match and can get them in several thicknesses.  Also have used there head gaskets on a non FE application.  They make good stuff, I would supose the exhaust gaskets are just as good.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:05 PM »
Just another chiming in on using no gaskets between the head and exhaust manifold or header...Heat shield? maybe, but no gaskets.
Get the head mating surface flat and true.
Get the header mating surface flat and true.
Get both surfaces very clean.
Use a thin film of Ultra Copper, or similar high temp sealer.
Bolt things together and for the firts few heat cycles recheck bolt tightness...Done until you choose to take things apart.

Getting the header flange trued up sometimes takes effort and time because you have to weld up and grind off material to get a good finished flange.
In the end, specially considering what it takes to redo the header gaskets, the time and money spent getting the flanges right is well spent in the long run.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
Gerry knows of what he speaks. It’s mental toughness combined with mental illness, lol. There is no single flange to butter up and just stick onto the head.
To put the Crites tubes in my 67 is about a five hour ordeal.  One tube at a time with a host of odd shaped wrenches and ratchets, extensions and foul language. Also, a ledger with notes on how this pipe gets bolted from under the car and this one gets done from the top and this one gets done while standing on head with one eye closed.

Silicone, not happening.

JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.55@125.74 1.46 60’

chris401

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »
I chose them because the port sizes matched up very well with my Crites headers and Barry’s CNC heads. I previously used Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal with mixed success.

JB
Your picture looks very simular to Remflex. Remflex is all I use now on headers. I have a cheaper set with rough weld beads and thin flanges that hasn't held a seal for the last 20 years until I used Remflex. They tore on my 3rd head swap b7t lasted about 22,000 miles on my cheap headers. A lot of different scenarios out there.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 07:05:12 AM »
Chris, the Remflex I’m familiar with are soft. They have some sort of graphite compound over mesh. I used them once in my Fairlane and when I had  to pull the motor my hands/ fingers took a beating unbolting the tubes. The soft, crushable part of the gasket went away, leaving the wire mesh. Just another one of those shock tower car fun things. I won’t use them again in that car. I’m sure they are good for when someone can get right at all the flange bolts.

The gaskets pictured are advertised as rubber impregnated copper. All I can see so far is copper

JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
10.55@125.74 1.46 60’

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 07:11:36 AM »
Rubber impregnated copper???
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

John67427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
I used the Summit version of what the Flatout or SCE copper embossed header gaskets. I probably would have used the name brand but I was at a Ford collectors private museum and the care taker mentioned he used the Summit brand with very good success plus they were slightly less expensive. They have worked very well for me.
  Yes, Ford shock tower cars and headers test your dexterity, imagination and patience. Once you do one of these cars everything else is easy to put headers on.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:53:43 AM by John67427 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »
Rubber impregnated copper???

x2?? Say what?  ::)
And x2 on what Gerry said.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 09:10:29 PM »
Even the headers with one piece flange won't work with silicone as you'd smear it all off to the side trying to get it up from a place where you had room to spread the silicone.
I haven't had any luck with the copper ones, even on a flange that has no weld bead. I'm not sure they are soft enough to seal flanges that have a weld bead either.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 08:39:16 AM »
Well, they are not rubber impregnated. I ad libbed that word. They are however coated with clear rubber on each side which is still curious. The company calls them RCC which stands for Rubber Coated Copper. Apparently their rubber is some magical material.
The Crites tubes do not have a sealing bead. Eventually I will have something to report relating to the efficacy of the gaskets.

JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
10.55@125.74 1.46 60’