Author Topic: Steering by Armstrong  (Read 1649 times)

FElony

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Steering by Armstrong
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:59:26 PM »
Judging by the looks of the car, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the D cam. I mean....THE D cam  8)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:23:32 AM »
That's the esteemed Dennis K. wheeling his T-bolt(no.2?). I was sweating along with him as none of those pillocks could give a proper hand signal! :(

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »
I noticed the lights work on the car so I would tag it and use it for a everyday driver.
Greg

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »
Yeah my Fairlane is like that, slow steering ratio and the school bus sized wheel. But that is part of the allure. I really wouldn't want my 64 Fairlane to be like driving a new car.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 02:57:37 PM »
My Merc is manual steering but using power linkage so less leverage, and no big wheel.   With 225s up front and a bit of weight to her, it's definitely an adventure in tight confines.  Worth it though to scrap the power steering ram, it was just too sloppy. 

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 08:30:17 PM »
My 69 Mach1 came with, for some reason, manual steering but with the faster power box. 265/50/15s on 8-1/2 Americans on the front made it very direct, but tough to steer. Din't bother me as I was used to it, but anyone else who got in it was WTF??? A buddy had a 70, original CJ car with "normal" manual steering, and took half the effort to steer

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 01:32:38 PM »
Pffft.

Try a 4000# wagon, on slicks and spool and 4" front tires and manual steering.  It won't turn around in 40 acres as it tries to push the front tires over on their sidewalls!!  Even with 7 turns lock to lock.... ;D

My '69 F100 is in the same boat at 4100#, same spool, 4" front tires, manual steering AND a smaller Grant woodgrain wheel instead of the stock 24" wheel.  I do NOT try to parallel park it....ever!!

Don't even start with my Mack.  With bias ply tires, it would not turn the wheels unless it was moving.  Radial tires helped.  Now I installed air assist which makes it near like power steering.
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »
.... it would not turn the wheels unless it was moving. 

I know it's not always avoidable, but it's always a pet peeve of mine to see someone sit in one spot and crank the wheels. The stress that it puts on all the steering components always bothers me. It just wears stuff out much faster. Even if a car is barely moving, it makes it SO much easier on stuff. But like I said, sometimes you don't have a choice.

I have manual steering with a power steering box in the Mach, and it's a bit of a bear at times, but manageable. The Galaxie came with manual steering and it steers like it has power steering. It sure makes a difference when all the steering components are not worn out and everything is greased as it should be.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »
A good alignment makes all the difference in the world.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner