Author Topic: Cross-Ram Port Job- ran across this on youtube. not sure this shop still around  (Read 2775 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSfsK4EckNw

did not know where to post this.  move or remove if it should no be on here.   He does several videos on FE Heads.  I guess disregard the one on the Pro Max Heads
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Dumpling

• View Profile
Does he have a theory about porting other than "make it bigger"?

Just watched the 1st video, wasn't impressed.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
https://youtu.be/2DjhoTsy98Y

Nice vid Barry and great results.

I did want to ask about fuel distribution, plug color and the eveness of exhaust heat, Don't know if you had exhaust temp. sensors but I've often wondered about how well that intake provided an even flow of air/fuel to all 8.

Long ago as I'm sure you know, 426 Hemi SS racers running the factory dual-carb cross-ram intake (similar to the Ford intake) started to weld-in, epoxy-in and set-screw in all kinds of air dams, fences and other dividers to even-out the air/fuel flow. The top racers spent a ton of time doing these mods, all in a effort to gain hp. Perhaps the Ford intake could similarly benefit if distribution is an issue.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:06:11 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Cant remember all the details, but that package was a huge pain to tune at first.  It was horrifically rich and ran really poorly.  Took a couple jets out trying to get it to react and it kept getting better by "leaps and bounds" with every 2 jet move - so we pulled yet more - ended up way beyond anything I'd normally try.  And it reacted dramatically to a pair of one inch spacers - and it also really liked those velocity stacks too.

machoneman

• View Profile
Cant remember all the details, but that package was a huge pain to tune at first.  It was horrifically rich and ran really poorly.  Took a couple jets out trying to get it to react and it kept getting better by "leaps and bounds" with every 2 jet move - so we pulled yet more - ended up way beyond anything I'd normally try.  And it reacted dramatically to a pair of one inch spacers - and it also really liked those velocity stacks too.

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought as some here and on other Forums complained about much the same tuning issues, including poor throttle response in actual driving conditions.
Bob Maag

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
That thing is way cool Barry.  Love the mag and velocity stacks!  1970's all the way.
Larry

frnkeore

• View Profile
Jay,
Thank you for the video and info on it.

Back in '71, I bought the MT version and a pair of 3310's for it, to put om my LR, with the Herbert roller but, the MT mounted the dist on top of the manifold, with a extension, down threw it, to hook to the dist gear and oil pump. You had to get machine work done for that and I never got it done to mount it. Shortly after I bought it, I bought my Formula Atlantic race car and of course lost interest in it.

I always wondered how it would have worked. I assume MT relocated the dist to get a straighter shot at the port and maybe better flow. Do you know anything about the MT manifolds?
Frank

Dumpling

• View Profile
I did a MT Xram.
Used coil packs and a crank trigger instead of a distributor.  Cut down a distributor shaft to turn the oil pump and clamped it at the top.

With throttle bodies and SH air cleaners it fit under a stock hood. Throttle response was crisp (progressive linkage).  MT plenums are bigger than the Edelbrock.

Also let Jay test a Bud Moore 351C crossram on his Dyno FE. That design, like the 426 Hemi ones, has one big plenum (there is a reflection? plate in there), but it's still a one big plenum.

frnkeore

• View Profile
Dumpling, do you have any dyno figures on that engine?
Frank

Dumpling

• View Profile
Never dynoed. It was an exercise in engineering, mind-candy.
Jay may have dyno results from the various iterations tried with the 351C crossram, I just took screenshots, not really readable.

More engineering mind candy on the way to the final result...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:18:58 AM by Dumpling »

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Got any more photos of that? Cool looking if nothing else.

Dumpling

• View Profile
There are more photos...somewhere.

With all this time on my hand I suppose I could just unbox everything...not for a few days though.

TomP

• View Profile
Have you seen the set of COAE HiPo 352 heads he did?  Mad scientist stuff.