Author Topic: Paging Sgt. Joe to the White Courtesy Phone...  (Read 2023 times)

FElony

Paging Sgt. Joe to the White Courtesy Phone...
« on: April 07, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
Have you had your hands on the Scott Drake reproduction COBRA/SHELBY lettered dual plane SBF intake? Only one vendor seems to have it on eBay, and I don't see it on Drake's website. Curious as to quality of casting and flow efficiency, especially compared to the originals. Watcha know, Joe?

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Sgt. Joe to the White Courtesy Phone...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
I have not had one in my possession to inspect.  I looked at buying one for myself just last week, but after looking at the pictures, it seems to be a Blue Thunder copy of the Shelby.  The RPM Air Gap is hard to beat, but if you want the Cobra lettering, that is the way to go. 
http://store.cobraautomotive.com/intake-manifold-4-bbl-cobra-lettered-289-302/   shows them for sale.

Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
Those were very similar to the Edelbrock F-4B intake.  Good for small engines out of the box.  I haven't seen those in a while, either.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FElony

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:12:24 PM »
Those were very similar to the Edelbrock F-4B intake.  Good for small engines out of the box.  I haven't seen those in a while, either.  Joe-JDC

These appear to be new manufacture from Drake's foundry in Taiwan. See the price compared to Cobra Automotive.

FElony

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »
Guess Joe don't care.  :'(

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 09:53:24 PM »
Holman Moody say theirs is based on the 60's design...In stock and all info on their site....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

FElony

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 10:29:43 PM »
Holman Moody say theirs is based on the 60's design...In stock and all info on their site....

Would love to know how all these compare to my C9OX-B. You would think/hope that they would improve the hp while they were at it.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »
It is not that I don't care, I have not personally had any one of those new intakes in my possession to do a flow test on.  I have been busy working on several SBF intakes, but not those.  Victor Jr., Port-O-Sonic, RPM, RPM Air Gap, Chi-Funnel Web, Real Funnel Web.  I have been working on other projects trying to put out fires, so to speak.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FElony

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 10:49:19 PM »
It is not that I don't care, I have not personally had any one of those new intakes in my possession to do a flow test on.  I have been busy working on several SBF intakes, but not those.  Victor Jr., Port-O-Sonic, RPM, RPM Air Gap, Chi-Funnel Web, Real Funnel Web.  I have been working on other projects trying to put out fires, so to speak.  Joe-JDC

OK, fair enough. How far off from the real Funnel is the Chi-funnel? Is there still no hardcore SBF forum around? Last I checked, sbftech was history. Haven't looked much.

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 10:55:44 PM »

Would love to know how all these compare to my C9OX-B. You would think/hope that they would improve the hp while they were at it.

Pretty sure H/M has there stuff cast by Blue Thunder......I asked Lee why my H/M FE covers look like my Blue Thunder covers and he said that Blue Thunder was doing his covers..
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:40 AM »
The Chi-Funnel Web 302 averages about 340 cfm, the real Austraulian Funnel Web 302 370 cfm.  Joe-JDC

The real Funnel Web is the one on the left with the lettering on the front runners.
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FElony

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 12:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Joe. I bought a Chi-Funnel years back for around 150 in non-polished form. At that price I was just too curious. The casting itself looks good (maybe even better that the Ozzie-Funnel), but I haven't tried to fit it on anything. At 340 cfm, it should still support a standard stroke up to 10k, I would think. My frames of reference are my old Twisted Torker with a 4779 that went to 8k, and my friend's Shelby 8V intake 289 with more compression and cam that ran to 9.5k. Both with iron heads in the 70's.

This of course is a different application than the dual planes I am curious about. Also, it appears that RPM is the only company that has rods in 289 length. I guess that's the ticket?

I also have the polished version of the Windsor deck counterpart, which I assume is from the same people (Pro Comp). Decent? Was also quite inexpensive at the time.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
The knock-offs are still available new for ~$150.00, but the ones that have the EFI bungs are terrible.  The dual plane intakes are hit or miss on how good they work out of the box.  I have worked one that was actually better than the Edelbrock RPM AG, others not so good.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500