Author Topic: 1969 Fairlane brake upgrade  (Read 5141 times)

69Cobra428

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Fairlane brake upgrade
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:43 AM »
I’ve owned this car for 26 years and have never been very happy with the brakes. Replaced the pads, rotors, and rear shoes shortly after buying it. Had the brake booster rebuilt, added a vacuum canister etc. Sure, the brakes worked but I was trying to improve them. Especially considering that the engine is close to 500hp, I wanted the car to be more driver friendly. Something that my wife and kids can drive. Short of a complete brake system swap I figured the next step was rear disc brakes.

That said, I’m thinking of a disc/disc master with a 1” bore. It looks like Speedway has them for around $60.   Would it be wise to also add a residual pressure valve for the rear?

FElony

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
With that much power, you should be saving for your family's cemetery plots. Never never never hand over the keys to people not used to old, overpowered vehicles. They will not survive. History has shown this over and over.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 08:18:18 PM »
very good advice , not used to this coming from you

FElony

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 09:40:21 PM »

Oh come on, you know I have feelings for my brother man. OK, that's a lie. So sue me.

The majority of collision avoidance revolves around how NOT to use the brakes. Throttle. Steering. The acquired experience telling you what the pitch and yaw your ride is going exhibit accordingly. Relying on brakes is just going to accordion your car when it should be elsewhere at the moment of impact. People getting giggles go from conservative to full throttle in a flash, and then freeze. You all know this to be true.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »
I agree with you , just picking at  you a little .

FElony

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »
I agree with you , just picking at  you a little .

Learn to unload on me so the banter proliferates and entertains. Get it? If you saw my roots on the Net, you would know I don't injure easily.

69Cobra428

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 10:19:31 PM »
With that much power, you should be saving for your family's cemetery plots. Never never never hand over the keys to people not used to old, overpowered vehicles. They will not survive. History has shown this over and over.

Oh, don’t worry, I’m not just going to hand them the keys and wave bye to them

69Cobra428

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 10:26:00 PM »

Oh come on, you know I have feelings for my brother man. OK, that's a lie. So sue me.

The majority of collision avoidance revolves around how NOT to use the brakes. Throttle. Steering. The acquired experience telling you what the pitch and yaw your ride is going exhibit accordingly. Relying on brakes is just going to accordion your car when it should be elsewhere at the moment of impact. People getting giggles go from conservative to full throttle in a flash, and then freeze. You all know this to be true.

Yes, I know that my Fairlane handles like crap but fixing the brakes is something that will help in the grand schemes of things.

My wife grew up driving a bunch of muscle cars that her dad had. She drove a ‘67 Corvette to work every day one summer and her dad had a ‘67 Chevelle when we met.

I plan on easing my kids into the Fairlane by driving around parking lots and working their way up to side streets. Pretty similar to when they went from the Mercury Milan to my Yukon XL.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 10:35:53 PM »
That said, I’m thinking of a disc/disc master with a 1” bore. It looks like Speedway has them for around $60.   Would it be wise to also add a residual pressure valve for the rear?
[/quote]

What is the current master bore size?

Disc/disc is a great idea yet pricey. One should not however add residual pressure valves to a disc system. If the current master doesn't have a 7/8ths bore, it should. You'd also want to dump the OEM Ford distribution block (it carries the proportioning valve; remove it and just leave the outer casing to handle the brake lines) and instead add an adjustable proportioning valve if you go disc in the rear.
Bob Maag

69Cobra428

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »

What is the current master bore size?

Disc/disc is a great idea yet pricey. One should not however add residual pressure valves to a disc system. If the current master doesn't have a 7/8ths bore, it should. You'd also want to dump the OEM Ford distribution block (it carries the proportioning valve; remove it and just leave the outer casing to handle the brake lines) and instead add an adjustable proportioning valve if you go disc in the rear.
[/quote]

I’m not sure the size of the current master. It’s either original or a stock replacement. I will have to take it off to measure it but I assumed it was 1-1/8”. The research I’ve seen was to go 1/8” smaller when switching it out.

As far as the distribution block goes, it is the original and I did add a proportioning valve about 10 years ago in anticipation of swapping in the rear discs. I assume I would just need to remove the guts of the distribution block?

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
I have front disc rear drums on my 66 Comet. I just switched from my Ranger master (15/16" brore) to this master from a 97 Stratus :o. I has a 7/8 bore and is very compact. After bleeding the brakes, they do feel firmer firmer than with the Ranger master. Unfortunately that is stationary as I have not had a chance to drive it yet being in Minnesota. This master gives me about a 1/4" more valve cover clearance also. The first picture is of the Ranger master and the second is with the Stratus master. Jim

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »

Disc/disc is a great idea yet pricey. One should not however add residual pressure valves to a disc system. .

Just so there is no conflict of advice, I wrote about the residual pressure valves.  Machoneman is correct.  Disc systems don't use residual valves except where the master cylinder is below horizontal from the calipers.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »
As far as the distribution block goes, it is the original and I did add a proportioning valve about 10 years ago in anticipation of swapping in the rear discs. I assume I would just need to remove the guts of the distribution block?
[/quote]

Correct. Remove the guts of the block and rely solely on the adjustable proportioning valve (controlling ONLY the rears) to add/reduce rear brake line pressure. In not too many stops, one can dial in the correct prop valve setting where the front brakes  lock up just before the backs lock up.   
Bob Maag

69Cobra428

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 09:44:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Bob.

In looking for a master cylinder, is just the bore size critical or should I look for one with both front and rear reservoirs with the same size?
From what I’ve seen, most of the OEM style masters with a 7/8” bore have different size reservoirs while the  aftermarket ones have similar size reservoirs.

Also, my car does have a power booster if that makes a difference. I’ll probably check the adjustment on the push rod again tomorrow and take the car out for a drive.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Bob.

In looking for a master cylinder, is just the bore size critical or should I look for one with both front and rear reservoirs with the same size?
From what I’ve seen, most of the OEM style masters with a 7/8” bore have different size reservoirs while the  aftermarket ones have similar size reservoirs.

Also, my car does have a power booster if that makes a difference. I’ll probably check the adjustment on the push rod again tomorrow and take the car out for a drive.

It's the bore size that counts. The size of the reservoirs makes no difference.

I'm going to go back to your 1st post and say that the OEM Ford front discs aren't really all that hot for a 500hp ride. Heck, no muscle cars of the era (and I drove most all of them) had brakes worth a darn except for a few (4 wheel disc Vettes, Boss 302's, Z-28's). Point is you may still need to upgrade the fronts to bigger and better rotors/calipers even with rear discs. Try your changes now and then decide on rear discs....and then maybe better fronts. I did on my '70 Mach 1 and although it was all quite pricey, the car now stops like an SCCA racer.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:32:20 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag