Author Topic: New cast iron shorty style manifolds being cast  (Read 3142 times)

Gregg

• View Profile
New cast iron shorty style manifolds being cast
« on: April 02, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »
This may have been discussed before, but it seems that some is going to start casting a version of the shorty style headers very soon.  This just popped up on a Galaxie facebook group.  Here is the link:

https://kugelkomponents.com/8307-2/

chris401

Re: New cast iron shorty style manifolds being cast
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »
The projected price is $750 a set and he is shooting for May 1st to be available. Not bad for a new castings. They do not have the choke boss so the pickup guys won't have to shave the driver side choke boss to clear power steering gear. We'll still need to curl or notch the passesnger side frame.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »
I thought someone had made repros ten years ago?

Look on the photo page for the Hobby Shop... FE with Hi Riser Weber setup and long branch manifolds.
https://kugelkomponents.com/hobby-shop/

Also a 61 two door wagon peeking out...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:24:48 PM by TomP »

Henrysnephew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
Yeah Tom, that was "Pop's Performance" (in Kentucky)?  They were selling some pretty nice shorty re-pops before they went belly-up.  Right at the last they were also offering stainless steel long tube FE headers too.  Randy M

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 06:11:41 PM »
The projected price is $750 a set and he is shooting for May 1st to be available. Not bad for a new castings. They do not have the choke boss so the pickup guys won't have to shave the driver side choke boss to clear power steering gear. We'll still need to curl or notch the passesnger side frame.

I’m sure it has been covered, but how much curling or notching? Anyone have a picture?
Robert

chris401

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »

I’m sure it has been covered, but how much curling or notching? Anyone have a picture?
I have seen a curled frame. It is not really drastic, maybe 3" X 3/4". Looks like it would be best to pull the hood and right finders. I won't notch another one. The notch in my F-100 is cracked.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »
will these fit a 65 galaxie with 428 ?

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 07:32:46 PM »

I have seen a curled frame. It is not really drastic, maybe 3" X 3/4". Looks like it would be best to pull the hood and right finders. I won't notch another one. The notch in my F-100 is cracked.

Thanks Chris, Tempting for a nice solid manifold... but with you certainly wouldn’t want a frame cracking...

Robert

Henrysnephew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
will these fit a 65 galaxie with 428 ?
No, they will not fit '65 and newer Galaxie.  Randy M

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 12:05:41 AM »
"I have seen a curled frame. It is not really drastic, maybe 3" X 3/4". Looks like it would be best to pull the hood and right finders. I won't notch another one. The notch in my F-100 is cracked."

If you notch  a frame reinforce it (above or below) to stop future cracks.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
Looks like the new manifolds have beefed up bolt bosses.

The originals and the older reproductions looked like they were thin in that area.

Pop's was having their version made overseas.  But I never heard of any issues with their exhaust manifolds.

One of the factors in producing something like this is the quality of the cast iron.  Ford learned that difficult lesson in the late 80's fuelie 302 and 351W pickup - those manifolds would fall apart in multiple pieces when they were removed from the trucks.  Dealers had piles of them.  Clusterfluck to R&R because of rusted bolts.  Probably the originating factor was increased operating temperature from the fuel injection and emissions.   Ford had to go to a better material, I think it had increased silicone.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »
What I would like to see is a better exhaust manifold for the shock tower cars, better than CJ manifolds, similar to the Shorty.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FElony

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
What I would like to see is a better exhaust manifold for the shock tower cars, better than CJ manifolds, similar to the Shorty.  Joe-JDC

Oh heck yes! Even CJ-appearing with bigger passages, which leads me to wonder the same about these new shorties. Better flowing, or same-same?

FElony

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 12:59:12 PM »
Back to the top for possible answers to questions unanswered.  :P

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
Back to the top for possible answers to questions unanswered.  :P

Just going by answers he has given on Facebook, these are just copies of the originals, but with the heated choke tube bump removed. He hasn’t mentioned any plans for any others, at least that I have seen.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V