Author Topic: Non A/C Blower Motor Question  (Read 1384 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Non A/C Blower Motor Question
« on: April 01, 2020, 07:52:14 AM »
In a large order from NPD, I got a Scott Drake 69-70 blower motor for a non A/C '69 Mach 1 along with a new repro heater box since the old one disintegrated into oblivion.  I noticed that the blower motor was not a sealed unit like the one I pulled from the car.  There is a large hole in the side of the case exposing the coil windings.  Since this thing sticks through into the engine bay, I figured it might be an incorrect model, but sure enough the part number is correct.  Is this acceptable, or am I missing something?

I ordered from NPD, but there are better pictures of the exact same motor here:
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9zz-18527-a.html

(sorry if the title threw anyone off, no superchargers in this thread unfortunately)

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Non A/C Blower Motor Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:23 AM »
The hole is a motor vent.  There would normally be a rubber tube going from the motor and normally feeding into the air box.  I don't know every configuration, so the vent tube might just point down somewhere so you don't stick water, dirt, or french fries down there.

EDIT:  I went to Rockauto and looked up a blower motor for a '69 Mustang.  They have them vented and non-vented depending upon your particulars.  Pretty cheap too.  Less than half the price you paid.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:13:08 AM by GerryP »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
The hole is a motor vent.  There would normally be a rubber tube going from the motor and normally feeding into the air box.  I don't know every configuration, so the vent tube might just point down somewhere so you don't stick water, dirt, or french fries down there.

EDIT:  I went to Rockauto and looked up a blower motor for a '69 Mustang.  They have them vented and non-vented depending upon your particulars.  Pretty cheap too.  Less than half the price you paid.

I'm wondering if the wrong one got shipped.  I suppose I'll return it and get a non-vented.  I appreciate the advice!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:58:02 AM by CV355 »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
My guess is the “reproduction” is some type of universal electric motor that will function, and not really a reproduction of the original. I’m guessing too that Ford figured a big hole in the case in the engine compartment wasn’t a good idea, and that’s why the original didn’t have one. Of course the original had to live in daily use through all kinds of weather, dusty roads, salt splash, thousands of miles a year, etc. most of the time our old cars don’t live that kind of life anymore, so some may be willing to take the risk they hold up. Do you have the original blower motor? Do you have an electric motor repair shop near you? Sometimes shops that do starter & alternator repair can also do other automotive electric motor repair, might be an option if you have an original.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
My guess is the “reproduction” is some type of universal electric motor that will function, and not really a reproduction of the original. I’m guessing too that Ford figured a big hole in the case in the engine compartment wasn’t a good idea, and that’s why the original didn’t have one. Of course the original had to live in daily use through all kinds of weather, dusty roads, salt splash, thousands of miles a year, etc. most of the time our old cars don’t live that kind of life anymore, so some may be willing to take the risk they hold up. Do you have the original blower motor? Do you have an electric motor repair shop near you? Sometimes shops that do starter & alternator repair can also do other automotive electric motor repair, might be an option if you have an original.

I do have the original, but the previous owner painted over it with whatever indestructible primer they used on the engine bay. It was seized up pretty bad even for a sealed unit.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
Ford had 'Power Ventilation' or 'Comfort Stream Ventilation'. In this configuration there was a molded hose that went from the air box to the motor to cool the motor winding.:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10593.0
Mike

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
I just replaced the motor and box (Dynacorn) on my '68.  It too had the vent hole behind the wires on the motor.  Because the car is not driven in colder weather, I applied a dab of black silicone closing the hole off to the elements.  I suppose that if driven in colder weather a person could use a piece of flexible hose shoved in the hole and silicone around it.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 06:51:56 AM »
I just replaced the motor and box (Dynacorn) on my '68.  It too had the vent hole behind the wires on the motor.  Because the car is not driven in colder weather, I applied a dab of black silicone closing the hole off to the elements.  I suppose that if driven in colder weather a person could use a piece of flexible hose shoved in the hole and silicone around it.

I am considering going to Home Depot and finding a flexible plug that I can pop in and just run this one.  If it was a concourse build, I'd be exchanging it.