Author Topic: Update with pics .....Pinion depth for Ford C2AW pinion.. 3.50 ratio  (Read 1696 times)

winr1

How may I find the correct pinion depth for a Ford C2AW pinion ??

It is a 3.50 ratio.... I received the ring and pinion by themselves

Ricky.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:44:23 PM by winr1 »

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Pinion depth for Ford C2AW pinion.. 3.50 ratio
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »
newer gears have it scribed into the end of the pinion gear combined with a pinion depth tool will get you close  . They have a tool that replaces the carrier that measure to the bottom of the pinion gear . In reality set it up with the pinion shim you have and do pattern check , adjust from there , Fords are so easy to adjust you take more time setting up and measuring the pinion depth than it takes to just switch out a shim, adjust back lash and do a pattern test

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »
Follow the above, good way to go. A nominal pinion shim is .014-.015 to start. Lapped gears almost always have a pinion depth scribed on the gear. I believe all Ford gears were lapped in at the Sterling plant. Otherwise as stated you have to achieve a acceptable gear pattern.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:33:09 AM »
Same: pick a shim, set the back lash, put some marking compound on the ring gear (white grease can work) and test.  Without the specific spec and making measurements to determine the true center of the carrier bore you are in set-test-repeat mode.  Even with all the specs, you still have to check the pattern to be sure.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:52:14 PM »
I had to put a new set of gears in my '69 a year ago.  I just set them up with existing bearings/shims and ran a pattern.

What makes it easy, a cordless drill and a large socket.  Put some pressure on the ring gear and give it a quick whirl.  So much easier then trying to do it by hand spinning the yoke.
Larry

winr1

Any have a 3.50.. 3.70 ... 3.89.. etc.. 28 spline 3rd member for sale perhaps ??

Darn.... this is 7th or 8th time i have been sent damaged goods .... or the wrong item

A guy on facebook said he would give me a 3.89 he was not going to use, I said I had to pay or trade

He needed a pair of 61 to 64  rear leaf spring shackles to finish his pro street truck

I found a pair and had them shipped to him....... have not got anything back.....

Bought a 3.50 3rd member .... is a 3.25 ...

This is the 3.50 pinion I was originally asking about pinion depth

You can feel the little ridges, they are are not on the other side

The hole/rectangle is way deeper than a scratch ....

Ricky.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: Update with pics .....Pinion depth for Ford C2AW pinion.. 3.50 ratio
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »
The tail rides in a roller bearing, so not a big deal if polished/scruffed down so there are no burrs.  But - obvious signs of distress in the gear set that isn't normal.  Bummer.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 08:59:26 AM »
Just use the shim it came with then check the pattern that is a lot better then starting all over.

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
The damage to the small pinion bearing surface is called “contact stress fatigue”. It’s in an advanced state of failure. You don’t want to run that gear.  The bearing surface will continue to peel off and destroy the entire gear set and all the other bearings. 
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 482 SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
     This fatigue failure of the surface of the pinion pilot shout is general caused by allowing an inadequate sum of bearing preload to exist of the relationship between the pinion bearings ((2 ea.) M88048/M88010 with standard support housing or substitution of (1 ea.) HM89443/HM89410 with Daytona support) within the pinion support.  This allows displacement of the pinion head from center, which in turn causes excessive loading of the pinion pilot snout upon the pilot bearing assembly (R1535TAV), which it's self is intended as only an addition support intention, rather than constant running load purpose, under high load deflection instances experienced by the pinion gear.         ;)

And as stated previously, once this fretting of the surface has begun it only accelerates in time, this now free material causing damage to the other components of the unit.  But looking at the gear face surfaces, I don't think it matters, as these surfaces look like "toast" anyway; I'd say a lubrication failure previously, as in a lack of!           :o

Sorry, just toss it.           :(       

Although, decades ago we would maybe keep gears like these around as a cheap guinea pig, for testing different gear ratios, for short-term "toss-it-in-and-see" use only of course.          ::)

Scott.

winr1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
Thanks much guys !!

Ricky.