Author Topic: Convince me an engine lifting plate works  (Read 5632 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Convince me an engine lifting plate works
« on: March 23, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »
I've never used one, the kind you put on with the carburetor bolt pattern. Any tips or words of confidence?

I've always used a length of chain. I thought I had my engine dropped  in but could not get any comfortable tilt. The tilter I have should have stayed with the coronavirus. So looking at an engine lift plate.

thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Convince me an engine lifting plate works
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 06:48:02 PM »
You mean one of these Doug?
If so, no problem at all.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »
They will lift a complete 460 and c6 into a 75 f150 , never had a problem with them as long as the threads are good in the manifold.  That is with aluminum manifolds.  Use it with confidence. Rob

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
All I’ve ever used.  Non issue.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »
I was removing an engine from my Fairlane, and I hooked up one of those plates on the intake, and started lifting.  I usually remove the three bolts on the motor mounts, and leave the mounts in place, but I missed one bolt on each side, and started lifting.  Picked up the whole front of the vehicle off the jack stands before I saw the problem.  Haven't doubted since.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

chris401

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 12:47:53 AM »
The older Edelbrock's I am used aren't the best castings. Somewhat brittle compared to others. I wouldn't use it on an aluminum intake. It would be a freak accident if the carburetor pad were to crack, but so is having a body part crushed. Other than that you can hook it on the rear hole and lift engine and transmission together.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 02:56:02 AM »
I have been using the carb lift plates for years on FEs, with absolutely zero issues. Usually with the heavy steel Lakewood  scattershield , clutch and flywheel all installed. And thats while using a 50+ year old Ford Sidewinder intake manifold. One time, just for fun, I removed 2 of the carb nuts while the engine was being held up in the air with the lift plate, nothing happened. If 2 carb studs are adequate , 4 is almost "over kill".
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 04:56:26 AM »
One single Grade 2 5/16" fastener will take about 3000 lbs of force before it begins to yield.   Even if you look at 75% of that proof load, you're at about 2000 lbs of force.

You're fine. 

The only time I don't use a carb plate is when the engine is a dual carb setup or similar, then I use a sling. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 06:27:44 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'll use one and get 'er done.

Thanks!
Doug Bender

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 07:27:41 AM »

The only time I don't use a carb plate is when the engine is a dual carb setup or similar, then I use a sling.

I used two lift plates, each hooked up to a tilter arm. Worked like a charm.

Joe’s story above about lifting a car, I have accidentally done that as well. Happy to know I’m not alone on that one

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:34 AM »
This Mac lifter/tilter works very good. A bit on the expensive side, but it makes it much easier when you don't have help.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-701001

And the same as the others, I've used the standard lifting plates many times without issues. And like Brent, I use 2 on dual carb intakes.

Doug, if you don't want to purchase that tilter, I'd gladly send you mine to use, then just send it back when you're done. Just an idea, if it helps you out.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »
This Mac lifter/tilter works very good. A bit on the expensive side, but it makes it much easier when you don't have help.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtd-701001

And the same as the others, I've used the standard lifting plates many times without issues. And like Brent, I use 2 on dual carb intakes.

Doug, if you don't want to purchase that tilter, I'd gladly send you mine to use, then just send it back when you're done. Just an idea, if it helps you out.
Thanks but I stabbed it in this morning. I took a few minutes to look at my tilting lifting jig and cut a couple links off and drilled a new hole for the shackle and got the geometry needed.

I did order one of those lifting plates from Summit for future use. Thank you for the offer to use your.
Doug Bender

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
   The only situation "I" would not use one on is a fabricated sheet metal manifold. Everything else is fine. All cast iron 460 with C6 attached is no problem as already mentioned.
   Randy

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
I'll admit I was a skeptic. Thought I would buy one but would see those lift plates made out of cheesy 10 gauge material and change my mind. Finally made a few my own out of 1/4" on the plasma table which in my opinion is the only way to go. The added thickness is nice too so you don't have to hunt up a stack of washers and helps ensure the plate won't distort and pull sideways on the studs.

Key thing is make sure it is clamped down flat. First time was on an old iron intake to get a feel for it then on an old Streetmaster intake with a couple marginal holes in the carb pad. Full dress with overdrive and np435 attached. They are awesome so much easier to work around the engine.

I have 3 or 4 of them with only the 4 hole 4150 pattern the extras for use as intake block off plates for engines in storage.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 12:37:30 PM »
Buddy used a plate to lift his full cast iron 460/doug nash 5 spd.  It did it, but it was not looking too healthy when done.  He then rebuilt it and welded it solid for years of service.  I have a plate, but don't really have a need for it unless taking my crane to a buddies place and they are handy to have.

I've had a vintage tilter(30 yrs?) that I always use.  I hook the exhausts ports in 4 corners and go to it.   The new Harbor Fraud taiwanesse versions look sketchy at best.

I have a folding engine crane.  I drilled/tapped the one support leg going up to the top of the pivot various sizes from 1/4-1/2" and bought a selection of eyebolt pairs and store them in the holes.  I have a couple selections of chains, a slim nylon sling and my tilter all at easy reach for any possible need.
Larry