Author Topic: Pro Gram cross bolt mains  (Read 1745 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Pro Gram cross bolt mains
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:57:42 AM »
Received my mains Saturday from Pro Gram.
I was surprised at the quality of these main caps and very happy with them.
Any one had any problems with them?
Greg

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Pro Gram cross bolt mains
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »
I've had mine since 1999 with no problems and they sure look beefy , way nicer than factory cross bolt caps

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
They are all most to nice to hide with a oil pan. I guess a guy could make a plexiglass pan to show them off [LOL].
I ordered them because the machine shop lost my main's. I bought another set off a member on this site and they were close but would have to be align bored so since I have to do that anyway I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and buy these. Can't hurt and I am thinking of going with a stroker  and I would just feel better with the added support.
Greg 

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
I have a set on my 451". Very nice quality stuff. Make sure you check the chamfer on the thrust cap where the bearing sits in. I had to hit mine with a file to allow the bearing to sit in the cap 100%. I also wish I drilled and tapped mine to use a slide hammer to remove the thrust cap.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »
Good info. I had all ready fitted a thrust bearing on the cap and it fit good but I didn't think about drilling a hole for a slide hammer.
Good ideal and I will do that.
Thanks
Greg

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »
I need to clarify my last post. When I said I fitted the thrust bearing I ment the face front and back fit real good, I can't measure how it fit's in the cup until I get it align bored.
Greg 

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
I figured if I ever sold my engine a picture with the oil pan off would be mandatory  :) it is a shame to cover it up

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »
I installed a complete set on a Genesis (cast caps) in 2012. The only issue I had was after fitting the caps in the bulkheads, align boring and align honing when completing final assembly the rear main cap would not seat in the block. After much fiddling I determined the seal groove was not cut sufficiently deep. I called Program Engr. and they advised me to return the cap. Two weeks later the cap was returned to me, without comment or explanation, but did installed as expected. I called Program Engr. and was told "they just messed up on the final depth cut". There was no charge but that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their product. Pay attention to Program Engr. interference recommendation at the parting face in the bulkhead.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
Yes I will do that.
Everything will be checked before assembly.
Thanks
Greg

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
If anything as tough as getting the caps out of my BBM block?  I would construct a spreader to spread the block ever so slightly to allow easier removal.  That is what I have used.  The shop had it made by a local fellow that does side work for them like this.
Larry

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
I hope I don't have to make a spreader. I probably have the only thin wall 428 cast block in existence.
Greg