Author Topic: '66 Comet Cyclone GT  (Read 6441 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
'66 Comet Cyclone GT
« on: March 15, 2020, 11:24:47 PM »
This weekend I was successfully able to use the coronaviris threat as an excuse for my fiance and I to spend some time in the shop buffing and waxing the Cyclone  ;D
My Dad and Uncle changed the water pump out while we put some work into the paint.
In the future I think this will end up with a big cubic inch, low rpm FE. For now we're just keeping it on the road so it can be enjoyed.
Next week I'm taking a set of 14x6 wheels to the painter to be painted body color. We have a set of dog dish wheel covers to throw on it and some "Wide-O-Oval" G70 tires to put on it.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:30:17 PM by mbrunson427 »
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: '66 Comet Cyclone GT
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 04:49:14 AM »
Very nice! Nice shop too.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
Mike, love that car.  Be sure and post pics of the painted wheels with the Merc dog dish caps when ready.  Also, what's that gizmo mounted on the front of the shock tower?   :o
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 10:05:35 AM »
Really cool car, Mike.  I used to have one of those, wish I still did...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:08:16 AM »
Yeah, one of my favs as well. Wish I had one, then or now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:42:48 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »
Also, what's that gizmo mounted on the front of the shock tower?   :o
Funny you ask! We were scratching our heads, following all the vacuum lines. It's for the intermittent wipers, vacuum module. I still don't completely understand the function, I was planning on diving into that more next time I work on it.

Thanks guys! This popped up on one of the facebook pages a couple months back. The guy had a story about it that was eerily similar to the story our Cougar had...."Bought this car from the original owner at an estate sale, owned it for a couple years, completely original car, has a bunch of original paperwork with it, 50,000 miles". Figured if it was in similar shape to the way the Cougar was purchased then it was a total win. It got here and sure enough, it's pretty dang nice. I drove it around yesterday, came back and adjusted the timing, went back out and it was day and night different. Pretty fun/simple to drive, automatic trans.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

57 lima bean

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 07:58:46 PM »
         Great looking shop!Much diversity with the Hurst Billboard car too.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 08:50:01 AM »
Also, what's that gizmo mounted on the front of the shock tower?   :o
Funny you ask! We were scratching our heads, following all the vacuum lines. It's for the intermittent wipers, vacuum module. I still don't completely understand the function, I was planning on diving into that more next time I work on it.

The answer to your question:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The wipers in my 66 Parklane only go one speed but are supposed to have an intermittent feature.

The switch is real cool, its a single speed on-off outer knob with what I presume is either a rheostat or some sort of adjustable timer knob in the center. The on-off works fine but the intermittent function doesnt. With the rainy season coming in the NW Id like to get a replacement. It rains a lot out here in the winter but it hardly ever rains hard so Id be turning the wipers on and off constantly as the single speed is way too fast for our drizzle.

Found an NOS 1966 Comet switch on eBay. There are also some later years. I havent had any luck finding a re-pop. Anyone know if the Comet switch is the same? I would presume so but with a no returns policy on a $150 switch I want to check to see if anyone around here knows before I pull the trigger. How about the later switches? The 66 part number is C6GY-17A55-D and the 67 part number is C7MY-17A553-B. I dont have an elementary understanding of Ford part numbers so havent a clue if these are interchangeable or not.

I could easily make something work but I want to keep this car as original as possible. Its an 85,000 mile one owner ride and it has not been messed with at all.

The only work Ive done is bolt on and I plan to keep it that way. It's just too nice to chop up.

Thanks!
has the two speed interval wiper system. The wiper motor is electric, but the interval portion of the circuit uses vacuum from the engine. There is a vacuum modulator/controller (not sure what its really called) under the hood on the drivers side. Is positioned next to the windshield washer tank. There are several vacuum lines going to it, one goes to engine vacuum (tiny one), and the others go back to the wiper switch. If there are no vacuum ports on your wiper switch, someone must have installed an incorrect switch.

Hope this helps..."

Bob Maag

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »
Very cool car Mike one of my favorites, sure like the design of those. There was a black on black one in my area when I was younger and he had painted steel wheels with the dog dish caps very nice look. The back wheels were a little wider so big cool factor.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:06:43 AM »
Sweet Merc but also digging your Hurst Chrysler !

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »
Very cool car Mike one of my favorites, sure like the design of those. There was a black on black one in my area when I was younger and he had painted steel wheels with the dog dish caps very nice look. The back wheels were a little wider so big cool factor.
Sweet Merc but also digging your Hurst Chrysler !
         Great looking shop!Much diversity with the Hurst Billboard car too.

Thanks guys! It's funny how many comments that Hurst car gets! Maybe I ought to take some pictures of it and post a little story about it in the "non-fe" section. Long story short, it was willed to my uncle by a family friend. It's a fairly nice car.....definitely needs some TLC, but as far as priority goes, I think it's pretty close to last. I've asked my dad a few times in the past about taking it down and having him do the necessary work, but right now he doesn't have the space, and I sure don't have the time.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks guys! It's funny how many comments that Hurst car gets! Maybe I ought to take some pictures of it and post a little story about it in the "non-fe" section. Long story short, it was willed to my uncle by a family friend. It's a fairly nice car.....definitely needs some TLC, but as far as priority goes, I think it's pretty close to last. I've asked my dad a few times in the past about taking it down and having him do the necessary work, but right now he doesn't have the space, and I sure don't have the time.

Yeah those are cool!  Fantomworks did an episode on a 300 Hurst car:

https://fantomworks.com/project/1970-chrysler-300/
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 09:38:02 AM »

Yeah those are cool!  Fantomworks did an episode on a 300 Hurst car:

Always had to laugh at the hood pins, as if that tank of a hood needed ANYTHING to hold it down, save its own weight! LOL
https://fantomworks.com/project/1970-chrysler-300/
Bob Maag

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
The hood and trunk are funny. They are fiberglass skins bonded to the normal metal under-structure. There's zero weight savings there, purely aesthetic.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
That's similar to the method that Plaza Fiberglas used for the "LW" T-bolt doors with almost the same outcome. It was a circumferential steel door frame, sandwiched between inner and outer fiberglass shells; practically zero weight reduction, especially when considering the effort.