Author Topic: 390 still using oil  (Read 11231 times)

390owner

• View Profile
390 still using oil
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »
I posted a while back about my build 390 using oil. I have about 6000 mile on a complete rebuild by a machine shop. The same machine shop built me a 390 20 years ago so I used the same guy anyway at about 500 miles I am a quart low. When I first installed the new 390 my pvc valve was bad and was sucking oil into the engine. I drove it like this for about 3000 miles not knowing. Anyway could that have kept the rings from seating? I have talked to the machine shop several times. He says to keep driving it and it should stop using oil. I checked the oil today and I am down a little over 1\2 a quart at 307 miles. The engine runs better every time i drive it. Pulls like everything. I cant make it smoke. The vacuum is good. What do you guys think??

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: 390 still using oil
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:22:16 PM »
My guess is that you've coked up the rings with all of that oil going through the PCV.  Put a quart of Rislone in there to clean things up. 

I bet your oil consumption will drop dramatically!  Edit:  Also make sure your valve cover is well baffled so you don't keep sucking oil through the PCV.  I'm assuming you have oil restrictors in to control the amount of oil up top.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:25:17 PM by WConley »
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 09:45:38 PM »
That is something else I did was replace my chrome valve covers with the stock one. What is the stuff your are talking about and where do I get it

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 01:09:10 AM »
Rislone Engine Treatment.  Available at most auto parts places.  It has a good quality engine oil as its base, plus effective solvents to break up sludge, varnish, and piston ring deposits.  I've had good luck with it and you won't hurt anything.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/rislone-engine-oil-treatment-32-oz-100qr/7081049-P

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »
Rislone Engine Treatment.  Available at most auto parts places.  It has a good quality engine oil as its base, plus effective solvents to break up sludge, varnish, and piston ring deposits.  I've had good luck with it and you won't hurt anything.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/rislone-engine-oil-treatment-32-oz-100qr/7081049-P

Yep, 2X to some Rislone! Be sure to get the Engine Treatment however.

I'd also fire it up cold and have someone follow you through the car's warm-up and some throttle work, including some long slow downs with the throttle closed (high vaccum).  Have found that one can't really tell if it's a smoker while driving same!
Bob Maag

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »
Ok as long as it wont hurt my new engine. Yeah I told the wife she was going to have to follow me and make sure it was not smoking. The exhaust turns out behind the rear tires and I can see them in the mirrors but mainly when I shift or first start up or lay the hammer down.

hhiibel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »
To be sure use the non turbo version. Of course the turbo version is never in the store.  Pick up oil and filter also. Top of oil. Warm engine. Pour in rislone. X minutes of idle   Drain. New filter. New oil. Put a can of sea foam eng treatment in gas also 

WConley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 12:02:33 PM »
To be sure use the non turbo version. Of course the turbo version is never in the store.  Pick up oil and filter also. Top of oil. Warm engine. Pour in rislone. X minutes of idle   Drain. New filter. New oil. Put a can of sea foam eng treatment in gas also

Actually - That's not correct.  The instructions say to drive the vehicle for (at least) a few hundred miles with a quart of Rislone in the crankcase.  That's what I have done with good results.  You need time and miles for the solvents to do their work.  Remember, Rislone has a base of good quality motor oil so it will not hurt to drive with it.

As for Sea Foam in the gas, well it won't really hurt anything.  The only real benefit is if you need to stabilize the fuel for a car you don't drive frequently.  Gasolines already have a good detergent package in them to take care of deposits.  Sea Foam won't help with the ethanol eating up rubber parts in the carburetor.  That's a whole other problem...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:24:24 PM by WConley »

hhiibel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »
Instructions are on the web and have several scenarios  but I am wrong about topping off first. Maybe metal can way back when said top off.

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »
Ok so I had my son follow me today behind the bronco with the 390. It smoked after I let off then got back on the gas. It also puffed some blue smoke when I shifted.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
my guess is the rings never seated. Put some Rislone in it and drive it like you stole it. You don't need to over rev it, but I'd punish that bad girl.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
If it smokes when you let off the gas, that’s a high vacuum scenario.  I would look at valve seals, guides, and most likely intake gaskets.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
Yes to Rislone.

But, keep in mind too that given the pipes and especially the mufflers have be liberally oiled, it will take some time and miles, given the rings do get seated, for the oil coating to burn off and stop making smoke. Had the same some years ago (valve guide wear) and was surprised how long it took for the oil to burn off completely and all smoking to go away.

On edit: as Brent just said, you must also look into the intake gaskets, seals, guides and evne the PCV valve, if used. FE's are prone to intake gasket leaks for a host of reasons.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:44:30 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
intake gasket,i sealed mine up good this last time and it no longer uses a quart of oil every few days like it did.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
This engine has been completely worked including the heads and guides and everything else. Could it still be the guides? Also if the intake gasket was leaking would a vacuum gauge not show it?