Author Topic: Need Ford drawings for FE motor for bell housing locating/alignment pin location  (Read 2810 times)

THCBSC

• View Profile
I'm having a bell housing made and need the Ford original drawings for the alignment pins on the back of the block, close is not good enough.  I need to get the drawings for the exact location.  Thank you.

Charlie

fairlaniac

• View Profile
I have a CAD drawing of a bell pattern. If I recall Mario V. gave it to me a few years ago. My flash drive is at work. I'll get it tomorrow. I used it to make a CAD file for a rear motor plate. Holes and dowel locations came out perfect.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

THCBSC

• View Profile
I'd really appreciate it.

PaulProe

• View Profile
Charlie
Perhaps this is what you're looking for

Paul

THCBSC

• View Profile
Hi Paul,
I believe that is exactly what I'm looking for.   Do you know if this was generated from Ford, since there aren't any drawing numbers, dates, or revisions that I can see.  I'm sure it's just a small part of much larger drawing.  It certainly looks typical for the era.  I really appreciate you posting it.  Thank you.

Charlie

TomP

• View Profile
If i'm reading that right some of those dimensions have a .002" tolerance. That is about the accuracy I get making block plate with a felt pan and hand drill.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Wish I'd had something like that for my 351C rear motor plate.  Nice.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
how much trouble would it be to roll the starter down to the bottom , is there room below the oil pan to do this ? a little off the subject do not want to steal the thread . 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:05:20 PM by gdaddy01 »

PaulProe

• View Profile
. . . Do you know if this was generated from Ford, since there aren't any drawing numbers, dates, or revisions that I can see.  . . .

Charlie,
It is from Ford, Drawing C6AE-6010-B, Rev. BF

THCBSC

• View Profile
Hi Paul,
Thank you for the follow up, I again really appreciate it.  This is the detail I needed.

Charlie

TomP

• View Profile
I don't think the starter hanging under the pan would work unless it is a mini starter with an offset nose. You wouldn't want in being the low point of the car and i'd also think clearance to the tie rod would be an issue on most Fords.

urchinhead

• View Profile
I'm having a bell housing made and need the Ford original drawings for the alignment pins on the back of the block, close is not good enough.  I need to get the drawings for the exact location.  Thank you.

Charlie

Are you having a custom bellhousing made to fit a special transmission? Just curious, if you are willing to share.
1964 Galaxie 500 Convertible, drivetrain on stand
1970 F100 Custom, 428 - body work and paint in progress

THCBSC

• View Profile
Custom Floaters in Ohio is building me one.  They have the original Lakewood tooling along with some blanks. This will be SFI 6.1 approved.  I'm using a Jerico with the standard Ford Top loader hole location however I know they can do whatever pattern you need.  I'm having a lower access panel to make adjusting my new pressure plate easier.  I'm also going with a cross shaft and dumping the terrible original clutch release fork setup, this will also make it easier to adjust the clutch pedal ratio.  If anyone else is interested you can contact Wade at (419) 685-0230.

babybolt

• View Profile
Back when I made a handful of the aluminum RC bell housings I had part of a blueprint from a set of the FE block.  But for whatever reason either blueprint was off or production block machining had drifted off from the blueprint.  The bell housings were made from the print but the trans pilot hole were usually off by 0.003 to 0.005 when checked on a block.  Was never able to determine where the discrepancy was despite consulting with a well known pattern maker who had the FE dimensions in Cad, making a new machining mounting plate, and having the whole assembly checked by a competent machinist on a brand new dialed in Mazak CNC machine.

ron bidstrup

a couple years ago I was looking at browell belhousings. they had a nice bellhousing, only you had to go with a different flywheel and starter set up.  I had to much invested in clutches, flywheels, and starters so I had my Lakewood recertified. they looked like a very nice bellhousing and were not that expensive, all things considered. and smaller.