Author Topic: Need Help on 390 build  (Read 1933 times)

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
Need Help on 390 build
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
I am building a 390 from parts i assembled years ago and some recently. Plan is really a budget build, get it together and run it kinda deal. I have a 2U crank c7ae-b rods 3/8 and 2291lf .30 over pistons all lightly used. I have a d4te block thats at .30 now with light rust in the bores, crosshatch is still present no ridge with reinforced mains. I also have a set of c1 heads and a c5ae-e intake. Plans are a light hone on the block maybe zero deck it 10:1 is about where i would like to end up. Hardened exh seats in the heads and check and balance the rotating assembly. Cam selection etc is something else i will be looking for advice with. My issues stem from being in New England the prices for any machine work seem to have gotten silly from 20 odd years ago, the few shops i called basically priced any and all work on my rotating assembly out the window and wanted to sell scat or similar parts for the cost of work.

I guess to the point is there anyone who has a good machine shop in the NE area that understands budget type builds?  Also this is going in a lightish project weight is planned to be under 2k lbs with a c6 (mostly due to toploader/associated part cost) cam recommendations. I was thinking a cam with a sluggish low end would actually be a aid to traction. Rear gears and stall are still to be determined.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Need Help on 390 build
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 09:22:21 PM »
Where are you from in New England? Grew up there been a while.

Also what is the car, gearing, use etc?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:27 PM »
I run a similar combination in my 64 Galaxie zero decked block same pistons C4-G heads
 "street" ported with Cj Valves Streetmaster intake comp 282 Solid cam 750 Vac
With my 2.70-2.80 isch LSD rear gear and 29 inch tires ( i make a lot of loong roadtrips and daily
drive it in the summers)  it is somewhat sluggish from a stand still
as loong as the road is dry and clean i get a dogbark and then it just take of. But if the road is wet
 or dusty it spin the tires untill the cows come home.
I dont know about hardened seats.....maybe different gasformula here in Sweden but i dont seem
to need them. My opinion, put stainless Cj valves in your heads run them until you eventualy need
to do a valvejob then put in the seats or go Aluminium
There is a build thread on my engine here somwhere in members projetcts

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
Millis Massachusetts is where i grew up and currently work, well i'm in Michigan city Indiana as i write this work has travel. Its going in a late model ford ranger stepside fiberglass bed, after i gut the interior etc its gonna be silly light. Gearing and tire size is still up in the air plans are already to locate a 15 gallon fuel cell over the axle. Going with a spring perch flip on a 31 spline 8.8 out of a exploder so gear ratio will be decided upon what else happens with the engine etc. Use will be street strip.

chris401

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 09:56:21 PM »
Millis Massachusetts is where i grew up and currently work, well i'm in Michigan city Indiana as i write this work has travel. Its going in a late model ford ranger stepside fiberglass bed, after i gut the interior etc its gonna be silly light. Gearing and tire size is still up in the air plans are already to locate a 15 gallon fuel cell over the axle. Going with a spring perch flip on a 31 spline 8.8 out of a exploder so gear ratio will be decided upon what else happens with the engine etc. Use will be street strip.
3.0 V6 engines were not all that cramped for room. If I remember right there isn't a ton of extra room between the engine and radiator. Maybe more room than what the Courier had. Have you figured out the radiator yet?

Would like to see a big V8 in a little Ford pickup like the Luv and S10 guys have been doing.

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:49:21 PM »
So far i have planned the removal of the power steering for room. Lucky for me for offered cheap rangers with manual steering. The radiator will be moved in front of the core support for room, i have a truck pan and pickup. The heater will be removed as well since it is a clearance issue when fitting a smallblock. A 351w fits i can make a fe fit is my mentality. The concerns in fitment will be if i can manage with da mass produced header im actually thinking of grabbing one of those cheap shorty sets on ebay. The twin i beam is nice as well no shock towers etc to deal with, and a full C channel frame. Ill start a build thread when im further along. Funny the S10 guys get mentioned i have a brother with a 383 in a S15 that started this whole thing may have to call her the FEud (Danger Ranger is also on the list) if i get this engine figured out. My427stang i just realized i did not ask where u are from in New England. Heo that is good to hear about your build makes me wonder what my light combo will do for traction in a good way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:57:04 PM by Greaterthenjake »

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »
Sounds like a fun project, and I love the name FEud.

Explorer axle code (D2) and or (42) will have 4.10 and limited slip, might help keep the budget in check for a little longer and allow a few passes to help figure out what gear you do want.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 01:57:27 PM »
If you look in the wrecking yard for a rear axle, Hollander part number 435-1931M, you will get 2003-2009 Ranger rear axle with a 4.10 ratio and a Torsion differential. No clutches to wear out! This axle also has 31 spline axles. Jim
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:03:55 PM by Jim Comet »

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding work has me fairly busy. Looking into the torsen ranger axle, wonder if it can handle the torque. Cam carbs stall and gear is kinda holding me up a bit as well. I have been thinking about getting a pair of 1850's and cleaning them up. Any and all advice there is appreciated as well as thoughts on cam, stall and gears.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 06:33:52 PM »
No idea if exact same but they put a Torsen in modern mustangs that weigh about the same as a Galaxie and make 460hp, think they’d be fine in your application
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:52:45 AM by chilly460 »