Author Topic: Oil Temperature?  (Read 6427 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Oil Temperature?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »
We actually don’t have a change interval, I do it every 20 just cuz I feel like it.
2 engines at 350gal each.
Being two strokes they consume 5 gal a day each while at power and monthly samples sent to the lab. So, different scenario.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »
Sounds like my old grocery getter I-6 '63 3-on-the-tree 2-dr. Chevy BelAir!

Got it cheap ($200) in fine shape except it was a big oil burner. Took 1 quart every 200 miles or so with one badly chopped up ring set on #5 (how that happened, who knows!). Back then, circa 1969, I'd go to Sears Roebuck's Oak Brook, IL service center where they sold recycled oil for $1.00 (yes one dollar!) for a gallon of 10W-40.

Point is, like Heo's diesel's, I never had to change the oil as in 1,000 miles, the entire pan capacity, 5, quarts, got 'changed' on the fly, so to speak! 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:35:19 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

runthatjunk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
Doug, my point was simply to reconfirm the importance of ridding water from an engine. Run it hot, change oil often. Run a good pcv. Also pays to be choosy regarding the oil you use. Some are more prone to creating acid than others due to the base oils.

In the case of marine engines, 225 for four strokes, 200 for two strokes.
My 10,320ci two strokes cruise at 166 water temp, 190 oil temp, 550egt.
Generally tho two strokes need to be on the cooler side than normal due to seeing combustion every time the piston goes down. So more localized heat, greater oil and water flow to carry it.
The mains here currently have 35,000 hours since last overhaul. Last time I checked bearings and retorqued was when I changed the oil, 10,000 hours ago.
Fun fact about the oil I run here, no zddp. Even 10ppm is enough that we’d have to change it. Any more and the silver coated bearings overheat and make crankcase explosions (trust me, they suck)

I find it amazing that you go that long between oil changes, especially with diesels. All of my campus grounds vehicles have gone to Kubota diesels, and it only takes a few hours run time for the oil to turn black from impurities. I realize it's a big jump from my little diesels to your monster, but diesels are dirty engines all the way around, from what I've experienced. I can't even wrap my head around a 20,000 hour oil change schedule, but your engines seem to go against conventional car engine wisdom, at every level.

I don't know if you have any experience with newer diesel pickups by my new to me 04 superduty stays suprisingly clean with 170K on the odometer.  Now my 74 Mercedes 240D with a ton of blowby, I can almost see the oil change to black as I'm pouring it in, that oil is nasty.!!
1965 390 Galaxie 4 Speed
1966 428 Thunderbird

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »
Blowby oil burner 2002 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 will turn new oil black in 30 seconds or less of run time  , the amount of time it takes to start engine after  a oil change and let the oil circulate through a new filter then shut off to check level and oil will be black as night ….. set of new piston rings from the local GM dealer later and oil will now stay clean on a 3000 mile oil change service interval

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 06:33:18 PM »
Took the car out for about an hour today after wrapping the oil cooler in metallized 3/8" ceramic wool thermal barrier.  The air temp was in the low 60s.  The water gauge read between 80C and 85C.  The oil temp read a tad above 40C.  I put an instant read thermocouple on the remote oil filter mount and it read 180F (82C).  That makes me feel better that everything (except the oil temp gauge) is working the way it should.  I'm guessing either it's just a calibration issue with the bourdon tube, or the tube is cooling the liquid inside and messing up the reading.  I can live with it being low, as long as the oil is not too cold.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:43 PM »
Great! Bet even in 90F weather, the oil temps will equalize to your water temps on longer drives.
Bob Maag

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 06:46:48 AM »
what about oil level vs horse power.i saw a video where they gained a few hp by letting a quart of oil out of the pan.it makes me wonder if i should run 5 vs 6 quarts in my stock oil pan.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 07:31:19 AM »
what about oil level vs horse power.i saw a video where they gained a few hp by letting a quart of oil out of the pan.it makes me wonder if i should run 5 vs 6 quarts in my stock oil pan.

I wouldn't, two things working against you with a stock oil pan.  1 is total quantity in operation, 2 is that they aren't very well baffled during a hard acceleration.  It doesn't take much either, my car when it was a pretty mild 427, in traffic, could wiggle a gauge with a decent stoplight launch.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
My stock 289s always ran better a quart low.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner