Author Topic: Scat Crankshaft Pilot Size  (Read 1395 times)

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
Scat Crankshaft Pilot Size
« on: February 24, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »
Are the Scat FE crank pilots 1.375 or 1.848 ? Or will both work? Tried searching but no definitive answer. Seems like they may have accommodated for both sizes. Just wanted to check with those of knowledge before ordering a TQ Converter. I have been told the 1.375 will work. Thanks in advance.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
Re: Scat Crankshaft Pilot Size
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
see Jays reply under Thrust Bearing Woes .

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
I have a cast Scat 4.25 stroke crankshaft that I installed the large diameter pilot bushing in, I assume it was the 1.848 dimension.  This mated up perfectly with a Borg Warner T10 4 speed in my 63 Galaxie.  I later converted to a Tremec TKO 600 and found and additional smaller hole in front of the larger hole that had the pilot bushing.  I assume this would be the 1.375 diameter, the supplied pilot bearing with the TKO 600 kit fit into this hole and mated up to the TKO 600 input shaft pilot.  The counter bore in the rear of this crankshaft was also quite deep which would have allowed for additional clearance if the input shaft pilot would have extended past the front of the pilot bearing.  In my case it did not extend past pilot bearing but it was nice to know there was clearance if needed.

Hopefully one of the vendors that handles these crankshafts can verify if both diameter holes are present in all Scat crankshafts, mine is a sample of one.  Now, all that being said I would be checking and double checking that crankshaft end play is present during every step of the installation.  It seems there is an abundance of horror stories related to tearing up the thrust bearing and crankshaft when the end play is removed for one reason or the other.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 04:11:06 PM »
Placed my order with Broader Performance.....how cool my order # was 445, fitting for my combo. Maybe my luck is changing on this truck, fingers crossed.