Author Topic: Crankcase ventilation?  (Read 3246 times)

fe66comet

Crankcase ventilation?
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »
Is there any reason why I couldn't run two PCV valves and use the draft tube hole in my intake to hook up to my air cleaner? I am trying to keep all the moisture and contaminates out to minimize problems with water in the E85 getting into my oil. I am planning to run Royal Purple or Red Line synthetic to also resist moisture. Any other things I can do to help keep from having problems? I also was going to vent the cell into two bead dryers.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Crankcase ventilation?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
The idea of the PCV system is to get it as high as possible on the engine.
The top of the cover is the best place.
You need a suck and vent.
I've found through my trial and error that a PCV valve on the right side with the suck to the manifold and a restricted breather on the left has worked the best
in my situation. Very wet/damp environment. At sea level right on the coast. Wouldn't move for anything. ;D

fe66comet

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Was just wondering if two is better than one ? It seems here that we have A lot of sweat in everything. With the added factor of alcohol I am wondering if I can do more? Oil gets dirty quick, not sure why? And with the temp variance exhaust does not last long. Although where I live was at onetime a swamp like Florida so soil is generally damp most of the season. Maybe I am just over thinking here? I never messed with alcohol as a driver fuel but have heard horror stories that's all.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »
IMHO, since a PCV is a controlled weighted orifice that you will make things worse using two.  If one isn't creating negative pressure in the crank case and the oil is getting dirty fast, I'd do a leak down to see if the rings are failing.  As above, PCV on the right and restricted vent on the left has always been sufficient.  E85 dies not have that much alky in it - it's not anywhere near like running Methanol.  In any event, you can also reduce issues by not running the motor unless you run it long enough to get it to full operating temp.  The methanol racers don't start their cars unless they can let them run up to full temp.  Running cold and fat on alcohol is where the gunk comes from. 

fe66comet

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »
OK just some thoughts I had, we have a lot of equipment here some quite old ( antique) that requires frequent maintenance but all in excellent operating order but still you get the milkshake in the valve cover. The whole E85 thing is a new concept for me so I want to get it right the first time. I appreciate your guys input as there is little info on E85 out there and most is misleading at best.