Author Topic: Rocker Arm torque  (Read 12405 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Rocker Arm torque
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
Guys,
   Got tired of waiting for the rocker stands from Doug to come in so I went ahead and put the valve train together. I didn't use the studs from Edelbrock because they stuck up in the air so high and I've got a pair of Erson ( I think that was the name ) cast Aluminum finned valve covers I want to use. Soooooo, Edelbrock calls for 40-45 lbs torque using engine oil for lube. I went up to 30 lbs and quit there. It's starting to get scary on me again. So I thought I'd stop and ask what you guys what torque I should take it to. I couldn't find anything about it in the way of a post. Help. I'm ready to put the engine in the test stand as soon as I get the fuel lines hooked up. Jim

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Rocker Arm torque
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »
If I understand correctly, Edelbrock calls for 45 ft-lbs of torque on the studs?  But you are using bolts?  I think 35 ft-lbs on the bolts ought to be plenty.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:47 PM »
Yes Jay, I'm using bolts. The threaded studs stick up so high I'd be using $250.00 custom made valve covers to seal it with. I'm using the original bolts. I'm scared to death of this aluminum stuff anyway. Did you ever pull on a bolt just knowing any minute you were getting ready to tear up something. That's what it feels like at 30 lbs on these bolts. Edelbrock calls for the same torque that Ford calls for the cast head. It just don't make sense to me. Jim

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »
Jim,
What's the delay on the end stands?  Also, did you measure the depth of the bolts into the threads?

Here's my opinion

1 - Wait for the end stands, even if marginally, it will make the valve train more stable
2 - Use the studs, cut them down or get the correct ones.  Having the studs fully threaded in, then clamping from the top is much easier on the head
3 - Maybe have your torque wrench checked, 30 ft lbs isn't much. 
4 - Just in case, remember, if you do use the bolts, one will be different from stock with the Edel heads and have to be replaced

Good luck

Ross
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »
X2 what the guys said, but
got a pic of these Erson covers. Sounds pretty Kool.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
X2 what the guys said, but
got a pic of these Erson covers. Sounds pretty Kool.

ScotiaFE,
    Here's a pic of the engine I took the other day. The 390 emblems are coming off.
Ross,
   I'll slow down. Use the studs and wait for the rocker stands. I get impatient. I made the mistake of telling Doug that I had all winter to complete the engine build. That may be part of the problem. Usually companies don't run your Credit Card before they intend to ship though. The push-in restrictors haven't come from Survival yet either. I want to hear this thing make noise. Jim PS That 750 Holley is SHINEY.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:57:27 AM by JimNolan »

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Jim, you can be proud of that mill and the 57!  Love that tutone red and white paint scheme and the Cragars look good with it too.  Be sure and tell us how it performs once you get 'er broken in.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Yup...pretty kool covers.
Trade ya a old set of dented up stock early 70's truck ones for them.
You know aftermarket always needs extra fitting. :P
Nice looking engine.
Patients Grasshopper.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:23:09 PM »
Yup...pretty kool covers.
Trade ya a old set of dented up stock early 70's truck ones for them.
You know aftermarket always needs extra fitting. :P
Nice looking engine.
Patients Grasshopper.

ScotiaFE,
    I got the valve covers fixed. I made a rather large hole in both bafffles inside the valve cover so the bolt could stick up through. Works great. I didn't want to be hacking on the Edelbrock rocker studs to get clearance. I can use the studs now. I've got the engine lift brackets made and put on and tomorrow I'll set it in the test stand and attach the flywheel. I'm calling Doug in a few minutes and let him know I need the rocker stands.  Thanks again for the help you guys have given me. Jim

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
Restrictors went out US Postal...look out for a rather small box....

We've been way backed up for a bunch of reasons, and are working at a fever pitch to try & catch up...

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:15:37 PM »
Thanks Barry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
Ross,
   I'll slow down. Use the studs and wait for the rocker stands. I get impatient. I made the mistake of telling Doug that I had all winter to complete the engine build. That may be part of the problem. Usually companies don't run your Credit Card before they intend to ship though. The push-in restrictors haven't come from Survival yet either. I want to hear this thing make noise. Jim PS That 750 Holley is SHINEY.

There is an old saying, "if you want it bad, that's how you'll get it"

Good call on waiting, sounds like you have a solid plan now.  The engine looks great. 

One comment, I have never had good luck with the FE oval air cleaners and the short filter.  When you look at the hold down, the sharp bend, and how close the choke is to the lid, you can see they don't flow too well.

They look cool but if there is any way you can switch to a 14 inch chrome with a flat base, maybe a repop Hipo air cleaner, they work well. I use a 4 inch filter from a 454 application and it really lets them breathe.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »

There is an old saying, "if you want it bad, that's how you'll get it"
Good call on waiting, sounds like you have a solid plan now.  The engine looks great. 
One comment, I have never had good luck with the FE oval air cleaners and the short filter.  When you look at the hold down, the sharp bend, and how close the choke is to the lid, you can see they don't flow too well.
They look cool but if there is any way you can switch to a 14 inch chrome with a flat base, maybe a repop Hipo air cleaner, they work well. I use a 4 inch filter from a 454 application and it really lets them breathe.
[/quote]

Ross,
   It'll get the 14" round with the 11" round 410 Mercury Marauder sticker. I've never liked the long flat air cleaner on one 4V. It makes me think I'm trying to depict it as something it's not. I bought that air cleaner when I got the erson valve covers because it matched the color and it was aluminum cast with fins. I've never put the 57 on the track with something like that. To tell the truth I don't like those erson valve covers and they've been sitting on the shelf for 6 years.
I've been considering Jay's suggestion of using multiple gaskets with my (perfect set of original 66GT covers that most people would give up custody rights of their first born child to have) well, maybe not the first born. But you get my meaning. Jim

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
I agree with Ross on the air cleaner, but if you want to use it you can buy a taller element for it; I assume a taller element would still fit under your hood with no problem.  You can also stack two of the shorter elements.  Raising the air cleaner lid on those oval air cleaners by an inch or so will really help...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
Well Jay, I installed the studs (except for the oil supplys) and put the GT valve covers on. They sit on the engine OK. Sooo, that means it's the adjusters that are hitting the valve cover. I'm going to use multiple gaskets like you suggested to get the height I need. With a little more effort I think I can acomplish what I wanted to start with. That said, it'll have a 66 GT air cleaner and height of cleaner will be totally dependant on hood clearance. I should be able to get 2-3" of air filter in there. Hopefully.
 While you're on the phone I want to know something.
    What's the difference between a Carter fuel pump with built in filter that delivers 120 gph flow for $35.00 and a shiney Edelbrock fuel pump that delivers 120 gph for $140.00. I've got both. I really want to run the Carter because of the built in fuel filter so I don't have to have a filter sticking between the pump-carburetor. Other than the shine and $105, is there a difference. I bought the Edelbrock after a meet at Columbus where it was 105 degrees and I was starving for fuel because of heat soaking. I didn't have that trouble any time other than that one 105 degree meet. I've never run my car all day long in 105 degree heat after that to find out if I really needed it. Jim