Author Topic: Which oil pan? & windage tray or not?  (Read 3723 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Which oil pan? & windage tray or not?
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
Looking to buy a 7 qt. oil pan. Which fits a '66 Fairlane best? Milodon, Canton or Moroso. Gonna use FPA headers for now. Also, to use a windage tray/pan or not? Street car 427/484 with a few passes annually at the FE Race & Reunion?

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Re: Which oil pan? & windage tray or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »
I just got a canton in the mail last week, it looks to be of nice quality. I’ve owned milodon on a Chevrolet thought it was kinda cheesy. I’m personally a fan of windage trays, especially if you’re going to turn it a bit. I’m not a fan of stacking things between the block and the pan, just because it doubles the chance of a leak. I imagine if care is taken you can keep it from leaking though.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 07:42:09 PM »
Milodon 31130 pan. Seems decent and the newer ones have a revised drain to get most of the oil out, but still on the side of the pan. I recommend the Canton screen tray. Even the factory tray is better than nothing. I am running a full scraper too, but you may not want to get that crazy. I do not use gaskets.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
Can you weld, or have a buddy that welds? I recently made one for my current project. I bracket race, and I wanted a little more oil control for the hard braking we do sometimes at the finish line. I like the Milodon FE pan, but it only has a baffle at the back of the sump going up a little further. You can get brand new reproduction FE oil pans for about $45 at the various Mustang/Cougar/Ford Resto stores, or EBay. The reproductions have the tie-rod reliefs too. The West Coast Classic Cougar ones come bare metal, makes it a little nicer so you don’t have to strip paint on the upper one. I bought 2, cut the sump off one. I happened to have a left over Moroso deep pickup, so I used that. You will likely have a bunch of time into fabricating this ( I did lol ), so if your time is limited you may just want to buy one. I mocked it up, cut a hole in the main upper pan for the pickup to go through, measured carefully where to cut the sump off the other pan, cut a v-notch at the back of the lower sump to fit upper pan, and time to set the location properly for the pickup depth from the bottom. Once all that was done my friend JericoGTX welded it up for me. I had him weld up the rear edge of the baffle the pan comes with to also keep oil from sloshing back. If you have a couple used FE oil pans you can of course use them.
If this interests you at all I have more pictures of making it. 

Here’s the pans I used to start with:

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:07:54 AM »
Thatdarncat, you might think about putting some more slots or holes in there to let oil in the bottom.  You might suck that lower section dry before the oil can get back down there......oil pan mods can cause pain sometimes.  When Racepaks came along, we got proof of problems we always suspected with front sump pans. My car, and 90% of my customers' cars with front sump have accumulators now.  It helps oil pressure on launch in front sumps, and on braking with big rear sumps, and would also help you in finish line braking.  Oil pressure becomes a straight, consistent line on the data with the accumulators.
Blair Patrick

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »
Mr. Patrick
What accumulator do you recommend ?
Woody

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
Thatdarncat, you might think about putting some more slots or holes in there to let oil in the bottom.  You might suck that lower section dry before the oil can get back down there......oil pan mods can cause pain sometimes.  When Racepaks came along, we got proof of problems we always suspected with front sump pans. My car, and 90% of my customers' cars with front sump have accumulators now.  It helps oil pressure on launch in front sumps, and on braking with big rear sumps, and would also help you in finish line braking.  Oil pressure becomes a straight, consistent line on the data with the accumulators.

Blair what do you think about a windage  tray on a Moldon rear pan needed or not. Leny Mason

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 09:34:10 AM »

Thank you for the input, we can add some more holes. I do have an accumulator I planned on running.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies - went with Canton pan, pickup and screen/tray.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:56:58 AM »
I like the Moroso 3-quart accumulators.  We run about 20 psi of air in the empty accumulator.  With 80 psi oil pressure, it will put about 2.5 quarts in the tank before it equalizes with the engine oil pressure.

Leny, I would use the tray on the rear sump also.
Blair Patrick

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 03:48:28 PM »
I like the Moroso 3-quart accumulators.  We run about 20 psi of air in the empty accumulator.  With 80 psi oil pressure, it will put about 2.5 quarts in the tank before it equalizes with the engine oil pressure.

Where do you typically mount the accumulator?  Does it work to move it to the trunk or up under the dash?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:06:42 PM by JamesonRacing »
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 03:59:24 PM »
That can depend on how you actuate it. Manually by hand/cable or with electric solenoid. With the electric solenoid you can mount it wherever with the only concern being the length of the supply hose. 1/2" or 5/8" recommended, 5/8" for sure on the longer runs.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »

Where do you typically mount the accumulator?  Does it work to move it to the trunk or up under the dash?

David, I like to put them in front of the radiator.  On my Mustang, it is under the hood latch.  Needs to be close to the engine in my opinion.  Years ago, I got Precision Oil Pumps to do the billet filter brackets with an extra 1/2" pipe hole.  He sells them.  I use a 45° fitting and #10 line to get right into the main galley.  The FL-1A filter will not flow backwards, as some do.  I recommend the regular Motorcraft filter for the best results.
Blair Patrick

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 02:05:51 PM »

David, I like to put them in front of the radiator.  On my Mustang, it is under the hood latch.  Needs to be close to the engine in my opinion.  Years ago, I got Precision Oil Pumps to do the billet filter brackets with an extra 1/2" pipe hole.  He sells them.  I use a 45° fitting and #10 line to get right into the main galley.  The FL-1A filter will not flow backwards, as some do.  I recommend the regular Motorcraft filter for the best results.

Thanks Blair.  Seems that the side-oilers have a plug on the front of the oil galley...maybe a good spot to tap into the pressure side?
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »

Thanks Blair.  Seems that the side-oilers have a plug on the front of the oil galley...maybe a good spot to tap into the pressure side?
[/quote]That side oiler passage is pretty small....
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH