Author Topic: Stall converter advice?  (Read 2707 times)

james

• View Profile
Stall converter advice?
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
I have a John Kaase boss 460 semi-hemi engine stroked to 572. I also have a c6 transmission with reverse manual valve body. In a short time this motor will be put in a 1966 Mercury comet cyclone. I plan on putting 3:25 rear end gears in her. This is not a race or drag car.

The specs of the cam are as follows: Comp cam jkr-k2 251/260 HR10. Adv dur, 308 int, 332 exh, valve lift .607  .623.  I also don't know what size tires I will be using, I would appreciate your recommendations. Thank You!

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Stall converter advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
There is a lot more information you need to supply, James.  In that regard, you need to contact a genuine performance converter manufacturer...you know, the ones whose business is making custom converters, not TCI or B&M or one of those schlubs.  We can kind of guess, but to really dial it in requires a true expert.  There is just so much more to a converter than stall speed.  And although money doesn't sound like it's a superior consideration in what you're doing, you will pay a premium for a premium converter.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
+1 on contacting a good converter company.  I get my converters from Neal Chance Racing Converters.  One thing they will want to see, if you have it, is dyno data on the engine.  That data will really help them dial in what you need.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
PTC or Chance.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

james

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
There is a lot more information you need to supply, James.  In that regard, you need to contact a genuine performance converter manufacturer...you know, the ones whose business is making custom converters, not TCI or B&M or one of those schlubs.  We can kind of guess, but to really dial it in requires a true expert.  There is just so much more to a converter than stall speed.  And although money doesn't sound like it's a superior consideration in what you're doing, you will pay a premium for a premium converter.

Well the thing is that I bought a TCI transmission that candle about 900hp. Plus the motor and trans is not in the car yet. It will be in the next couple of weeks. This also means I have not had the engine dynoed. And as I said, this is not a race car but more of a freeway car/cruiser. I'm just asking for your best guess? 1800 stall, 2000 or whatever you think. I am "NOT" adverse to calling some of the places you guys recommend. Just trying to figure out if on the right trake. Thank You!

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »
Did Kaase give you any idea of the rpm range, horsepower, or torque?  Someone of his caliber and reputation should be able to provide this information. Particularly important is the torque curve.  The reverse pattern manual valve body transmission is probably not the best choice for street use.  I say that with first-hand experience; any 1-2 shifts above the stall speed of the converter will leave rubber on the street and I don't even have to be into the secondaries.  You need to match the engine rpm range (a function of cam, displacement, etc.) with the torque converter with the rear end ratio with the tire diameter with the type of driving.  I would guess with that cam and displacement the engine is probably 2500+ (maybe a little higher) rpm and up, but as others have indicated, your best advice will come from your favorite torque converter manufacturer.  They know their product and will work with you to determine the best match.  Every time I've contacted a camshaft or converter manufacturer, they were genuinely interested in finding the best match for the application.  Their reputation is on the line and word gets around fast on the internet, especially negative reviews and comments.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:23:49 PM by 427mach1 »

james

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 07:01:24 PM »
Did Kaase give you any idea of the rpm range, horsepower, or torque?  Someone of his caliber and reputation should be able to provide this information. Particularly important is the torque curve.  The reverse pattern manual valve body transmission is probably not the best choice for street use.  I say that with first-hand experience; any 1-2 shifts above the stall speed of the converter will leave rubber on the street and I don't even have to be into the secondaries.  You need to match the engine rpm range (a function of cam, displacement, etc.) with the torque converter with the rear end ratio with the tire diameter with the type of driving.  I would guess with that cam and displacement the engine is probably 2500+ (maybe a little higher) rpm and up, but as others have indicated, your best advice will come from your favorite torque converter manufacturer.  They know their product and will work with you to determine the best match.  Every time I've contacted a camshaft or converter manufacturer, they were genuinely interested in finding the best match for the application.  Their reputation is on the line and word gets around fast on the internet, especially negative reviews and comments.

Thank you for your reply. I did not think of calling Kaase, but that is a good idea. That's what happens when your old.

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »
I've had good success with Edge converters. Don't hold back on any info when you call them. Dyno sheets always help that way your not guessing at what your power is. Had a friend order a converter and he "over estimated" his power and lets just say the results were not what he was hoping for.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »
+1 on PTC.  Had one in my '00 GT race car 10 years ago and it was a bulletproof monster.  Be prepared to provide a lot of information for the converter to be sized and spec'd properly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:06:48 PM by CV355 »

57 lima bean

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »
                  "This is not a race or drag car."= Cheap Summit 2500 stall.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
i have a b&m 3500 that i have been running on the street for years.i have never had a heat issue or anything with it.i think i gave 350 for it years ago.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
With the kind of power your Boss 572 will make you need a very high quality converter.  Since it’s not a racer keep the stall speed low to keep the heat manageable.  Use the largest cooler you can and get a converter with a stall speed of 2000-2500 RPM.
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)