Author Topic: Ford tunnel wedge and low riser port  (Read 1964 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Ford tunnel wedge and low riser port
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »
I have a build coming in and trying to get ahead of it.  Has anyone had any issues sealing the bottom of a Ford TW to a low riser port?

Not asking about porting the intake or head or changing anything, just wondering if the bottom of the intake will have enough material to seal to a low riser gasket, I know some of the early MR intakes had a bit less material on the bottom sealing surface and trying to get ahead with some parts choice planning.

I don't have the intake in hand yet to check myself, bench racing at this point
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Ford tunnel wedge and low riser port
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »
I ran an original Ford tunnel wedge with 428 CJ heads years ago with my Torino bracket car, no issues. It’s the same intake Jay used for his book testing, he probably remembers which heads the engines he tested it with had. I can’t say how the various aftermarket versions fit at the bottom of the port. I think, if I remember, it’s some of the versions of the Sidewinder that have the issue with not having enough material at the bottom of the manifold to seal with the Low Riser port.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
Yes, the different Sidewinders are made differently on the bottom of the flange.

No issues with running LR gaskets with a Tunnel Wedge. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
Thanks guy, good to hear it’s only the Sidewinders
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 09:33:35 AM »
You should check it.  I have seen cases where those Ford T-Wedges only have about an eighth of an inch on the bottom with a LR/CJ gasket.  Good chance you won't have to weld, but you might.
Blair Patrick

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »
Thanks Blair, sure will
Ross

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:45:06 PM »
I ran an original Ford tunnel wedge with 428 CJ heads years ago with my Torino bracket car, no issues. It’s the same intake Jay used for his book testing, he probably remembers which heads the engines he tested it with had. I can’t say how the various aftermarket versions fit at the bottom of the port. I think, if I remember, it’s some of the versions of the Sidewinder that have the issue with not having enough material at the bottom of the manifold to seal with the Low Riser port.

That's correct. When I was involved with one of the original dozen 428 CJ Mustangs, Jack Roush and Al Buckmaster came into the shop one night to deliver one of the very first Sidewinders. It had been cast at the Gate 4 Foundry and had no identification of any kind. In order to make it fit the early '68 CJ head ports, it was necessary to add material to the bottoms of all 8 runners. In addition, we were told to put a plenum divider front to back, making for a side to side division. This was suggested because our car was a Super 'E' Automatic car. The auto trans was supposed to make the divider a 'good' thing. We got the material added and then the intake got put on a shelf. I finally used it when I put a 'parts' 427 in my '67 Cougar XR7 GT in '69. I finished the trimming to make it fit. As I remember, I used '64 427 heads in that build.

KS
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:48:43 PM by cammerfe »