Author Topic: 1964 T Bird Project  (Read 1501 times)

Pallidin

• View Profile
1964 T Bird Project
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »
I am a newbie to this forum and could use help.  The T Bird has a 390 with a 4 bbl carb.  I am retiring and want to fix up this rig which runs.  My goal is to up the horsepower, since it weighs 4400, but it will never see a track.  Where to start?  This may be the wrong direction but here is the first question: 
1. I am looking at either two quads or perhaps a single 1250 Dominator.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: 1964 T Bird Project
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
Think you need to first fill us in on engine condition, gearing, tranny (we know it's gotta be an auto but...), $ limits, hp or speed goals and more.
Bob Maag

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:58:37 PM »
Neither of those carburetor selections would be advantageous to making your thunderbird run better.  First you need a good electronic distributor, and electronic coil, new plug wires, new spark plugs, and I would suggest a used Holley Street Dominator intake, used Edelbrock Streetmaster, or new or used Edelbrock Performer RPM, or similar four barrel aluminum intake manifold, a Summit  750 vacuum secondary carburetor, or Holley 3310 750 cfm carburetor and finally a good set of ceramic coated headers.  I would also suggest a new roller timing set if the one in the vehicle is a few year old.  Otherwise, I would not go into the engine until you see how well it runs with these modifications.  If it needs a rebuild, then think about camshaft, compression, and possible stroker crankshaft kit at that time.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
1250 is alot of cfm. I making 620 hp @6600 flywheel and only have an 850 double pumper.

Pallidin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I am an amateur.  Semi retired and looking into some fun rebuilding.  It is an auto.  Gearing is stock.  No speed goals - just street use with the ability to get out of the way of fools or pass in a jam.  I understand the double quads or 1250 are too much.  Just wondering about moving that much mass, at the moment I want it moving.  Great idea on upgrading to electronic distributor, and electronic coil, new plug wires, new spark plugs.  Previous owner did engine work a few years before I got it and the car was not run afterward.  I think the mill is ok.  Not sure if I have those records. 

Ceramic headers are on my list.  Runs fine but has not been run for a couple of years.  Fired up the other day with no problems.  I have not compression tested or run enough miles to know if it is using oil.  No knocks or unusual noise.  No idea on total miles.  Everything looks stock.  Repaired the radiator; replaced the AC.  Have to replace all slave cylinders and and master cylinder and looking at a front end axle replacement with disc brakes down the road.  I grew up with shoes but they are a joke.  Stops like a tank.  Stock carb runs ok.  I am just thinking about getting more juice out of things to move the 4400 lbs. Money wise - I am not planning to spend a fortune.  $10K or so should give me some nice changes.  I have the money to do whatever, just cannot scare Momma too much up front.  She keeps the books.  Now that I have some time, just have to get my backside in gear.   

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »
I would go to a 4.25 stroker kit with that heavy car to get
more torque

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it