Author Topic: Local Ford dealer goes out of business, after 110 years  (Read 2105 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Local Ford dealer goes out of business, after 110 years
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »
In my small town in Ohio, population about 5600, we've had a Ford dealer that has been in business since 1909. They started out by assembling Model T's from parts that were shipped to them, which I never knew Ford did. It was a cool historical business, with a cool story. Unfortunately, they just couldn't hang with the mega dealers that have taken over, so they closed up the business this September. It was sad to see the place shut down, especially since I knew the people there and dealt with them regularly.

A friend of mine asked the owner if we could get a group of cars together and take some pictures of them in the front lot. She is a very nice lady and was gracious enough to say yes, so the 4 of us set up a day to do it. Word got around and next thing you know, we had a big group of cars that wanted to get in on it. It turned out to be a pretty nice day, and we got a few decent shots.

You can see the original building, built in 1915, behind the addition that was added later on. They have some really cool pictures and signs of the business with cars sitting around it from the teens and twentys, inside the garage area. I wish I could have gotten one of the old porcelain signs, but I think they're going to auction off the stuff, and I'm pretty sure it'll be outside my price range.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:38:19 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

428kidd

• View Profile
Re: Local Ford dealer goes out of business, after 110 years
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 08:54:54 AM »
Sad to see these types of places go away. Keep me posted if and when some of the stuff goes to auction. Thanks Lance

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »
Should have a poster made, framed and see if you can trade it for something Ford before the auction.  Great shot.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
Sad to see Doug. The world as we know it is disappearing :( Al the good
places is gone her. It started with the hardware store then the speedshop
gas stations, etc etc  and it continues ...

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 09:59:51 AM »
Great picture Doug. We have an old Ford dealer where I work called Crown Ford its so small its amazing in New York no less that its still around. 

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
The only FE's in the group are mine, the orange Fairlane that has a transplanted 428 CJ engine and the original 428 CJ '69 Mustang that is 2nd from the left rear corner. There is one original Boss 302 (yellow), 3 original Cleveland powered Mach 1's, one 289 powered '68 fastback and 2 289 powered notchbacks. Not bad for such a small community. I should have mentioned that it was family owned since its beginning, for 4 generations.

Chris, those pictures are small poster size that I had printed where I work. We're getting a couple of larger posters printed up, but I doubt I could talk them out of a porcelain sign for one. Years ago, I was allowed to go through their attic and bought a bunch of outdated old NOS parts, mostly early to mid sixties truck stuff; no surprise since this is a farming community. They really were great people who trusted me to rummage through their stuff.

Heo, you aren't kidding that the old stuff is disappearing. I don't know if there are any older Ford dealerships still in existence, but I imagine this had to be one of the oldest.

Lance, I'll try and find out when the auction is and shoot you a PM.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »
OMG, when you say it, 1909. Cant be many dealers that are older if any.
Model T came 1908 before that there was just a few thousand cars i belive
even the T was not selling that much the first years. So few dealers to begin
with

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 09:37:03 PM »
On DragWeek we stopped in at a Ford dealership in Minerva Ohio to get directions... what a cool place and great friendly salesman. He showed us their 39 Ford that has been kept since new. Told us the place was a buggy dealer before cars. Gave us directions and bottled water.  It has an old building like that Cole one too.
 Few years later we are on Drag Week in the same area on US 30 and stopped in to Loudon Motors again. It was great, they told us they are building  new dealership on the highway. Perhaps same reason as Cole?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
Few years later we are on Drag Week in the same area on US 30 and stopped in to Loudon Motors again. It was great, they told us they are building  new dealership on the highway. Perhaps same reason as Cole?

Tom, there are a few reasons as to why they couldn't continue. One being that it's a very small community, and the older generations that used to be loyal to local businesses has faded away. It's the Amazon and Walmart effect, but in the car market. Mega-dealers that have a thousand+ cars on their lots can sell at a cheaper price, and younger people today just want the cheapest deal they can find; thoughts about personable and friendly service don't even enter their minds....until they have to deal with an issue. As a small dealership, when you see your customers on a daily basis (because they're also your neighbors), out in public, in a small community, you treat those people differently than if it's just another "sucker" walking through the door.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »
I certainly agree. And it is sad that it
s today's reality. The way things are going i'd expect vending machines will seem like personalized service compared to the way everyone else will shop.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:08 AM »
Thanks Doug!