Author Topic: Swap meet scores  (Read 2296 times)

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Swap meet scores
« on: December 01, 2019, 09:34:33 AM »
Non for me in a while. What did you get at Columbus this weekend?
Lance H

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Swap meet scores
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
Ditto.  Haven't bought anything of substance in years.   But, it's a good time to talk with friends.

We were in/out in 3 hours and that was with stopping and talking.  At least the two buildings were full, instead of three 1/2 empty buildings.
Larry

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »
   Three months ago at our local monthly auto swap meet  , I scored a genuine '65 Shelby wood steering wheel, and a month later a GT 40 tach drive 289 distributor. The stuff is out there still.
   Randy

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
     At the, as we always knew it as, "Turkey-Rod-Run" in Daytona last weekend (they call it something else now),...........drum roll please!........... how about an aluminum intake manifold for the Studebaker 299/304.5 cu. in. "R3" supercharged engine!  And the vendor stated that after an exhaustive search he had not been successful in determining what it fit, ............but I know!       8)

Now you won't find one of these everyday, as Andy Granatelli who had purchased Paxton from McCulloch and then Studebaker bought them, but didn't survive long after, so few "R3" engines were ever installed in any cars (perhaps something like nine Avantis and couple of Larks is the count) and post Studebaker involvement, there was an undetermined number of engines and parts sold off by Granatelli, but perhaps something around one hundred plus or minus total in different states of completeness.

So now, for my 289 (no, not A Ford 289!) all I need is the "R3"/"R4" exhaust manifolds; the search continues!     ::)

BTW, the Studebaker Avanti "R3" was "officially" the fastest (170+ M.P.H.) American production car at the time!     ;)

O.K, since this is the FE Forum, not as rare, but I did pickup a '64 410 block, the one with the extra web and cross-bolt bosses, std. bore, nice shape, destined for some high- revving 390 or something project w/ cross-bolt caps installed.  And, a 9 inch "N" case w/ "Daytona" support too.   

Scott.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
About ten years ago, me and the wife was at a cafe somewhere
in the south of Sweden. When i heard the rumble of a hot V8 and
a Avanti parked across the street, silver metallic with Centerline
auto drags.  First i ever saw probably the last, cant be many around
here

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »
what is the rod run called now ?

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 09:23:11 PM »
Grew up with Studebakers.My mom drove a 57 silver hawk (259) and then a 63 GT Hawk (289).I owned it from 83-87.A few years later I looked after a 63 Avanti and rebuilt the 289 for it...I have owned a Coupe Express and a Lark as well....Always been a Studebaker fan.....Good score buy the way...
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
      Along with my Avanti R2, I'm hoping to find a '37 Coupe Express truck (just what I need, more "STUFF"), at a reasonable cost, but I think I'm to late, as the market has gone nuts for such.       :(

Scott.

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 12:13:05 AM »
I bought a Magnesium 4v 427 Medium Riser FoMoCo intake, pretty rare piece. I was looking for one for a customer and had asked all the heavy hitter parts guys I knew but struck out. Then Sat morning in the other building from where I was set up, there it was under a table. Two younger guys in their 20s who bought what seemed to be scrap metal had it. I bought it and then told them about what it was. It's now headed to rest atop a 427 MR engine in an original comp cobra.

I tried to post a picture but it's the wrong format apparently.
Jack