Author Topic: light switch  (Read 1364 times)

shady

• View Profile
light switch
« on: November 30, 2019, 03:43:53 PM »
On my '63 gal project that had been setting for 40 years, the headlight switch is frozen. I can rotate it and turn on the dome light, but it won't pull out. I have a new one but in order to change it you have to pull it all the way out and push the button to release the knob. To make matters worse, the fuse holder is attached to the bottom of it. I Kroiled it, beat it with a hammer. Any Ideas other than drive it in the day light.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: light switch
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 06:11:05 PM »
Maybe a heat lamp or hair dryer + more Kroil of WD-40?
Bob Maag

dcm0123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 08:35:59 PM »
I has been a long time since I pulled one apart. If the only reason you need to pull the knob is so you can take the nut off, you may want to use a thin metal cutting wheel on a Dremel tool to cut the shaft. You will need to replace the knob and the shaft.

Later models typically allow you to pull just the knob off the shaft, They often have a spring which you can depress just under the head of the knob while you pull on it. Check to see if your was previously replaced with this type.

If you find out the mating plug is damaged due to overheating, it is typically caused by the headlights drawing to much current. You can buy a relay kit and install it to fix the overheating problem. I installed the kit in my 69 Mustang. It is simple to install under the hood.

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 06:48:10 AM »
Eric - had the same problem. Fought with it for hours. Ended up just cutting/breaking the switch apart.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
Shady, remember there's a button at the side, near the back of the switch that allows you to remove the knob and shaft assy.  Press the button at the back and wiggle the knob / shaft back and forth to see of you can free it.  You might be able to remove it even if the switch is frozen. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic