Author Topic: Good FE machine shop in KC area?  (Read 1988 times)

plovett

Good FE machine shop in KC area?
« on: November 25, 2019, 07:14:48 PM »
I am getting ready to have my stroked 427 machined, put together, and dyno-ed.   I had a machine shop that I liked, but it closed down.  I tried contacting the machinist/porter who did my engine from there with no luck,

Anybody know a good FE shop in the KC area?

thanks,

paulie

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Good FE machine shop in KC area?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »
If you're not opposed to a couple hundred mile drive (HASTINGS, Nebraska), one of the best FE shops in your area is Gessford Machine:  https://www.gessford.com/

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 08:41:56 PM »
If you're not opposed to a couple hundred mile drive (HASTINGS, Nebraska), one of the best FE shops in your area is Gessford Machine:  https://www.gessford.com/
X2 on that. I just got my rotating assembly back from them a couple of weeks ago. It's a 4 1/2 hr drive for me but well worth it.

plovett

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:39:50 PM »
How are Gessford's prices?  I don't mind paying a good fee for good machine work, but I think they are known for building engines for Cobra kit cars?  Makes me think they may cater to rich guys?  I don't know that so it is not an accusation.  Just a question.  I don't mind driving a few hours for good machine work.

paulie

aj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
Also might consider www.kuntzpower.com  in Arkedelphia AR.  They’re prices seem reasonable and they have dyno.   No doubt they’re work is good.  Gessford also good.  I’ve had work done by both shops and no need to worry about quality with either. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:03:34 AM by aj »
Adrian Jacobs
Weatherford, TX
1970 Shelby GT500 
1970 Boss 302

plovett

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »
I think Jim Kuntz has left us?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
Jim died earlier in the year. 

How close are you to KY?  Meet you half way?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
Paulie, what has to be done to the block?  Was this one a rough one that needed a lot of work?

I do have a great machinist that I use here, a lot closer than Hastings, but he really isn't cutting edge on component choices (likes Eagle cranks, etc, but a very good machinist, although not cheap

If willing to meet Brent, he's got it all, I've got everything except a dyno I trust,  the local Land and Sea is a bit optimistic, might be easier to drive east toward him.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

plovett

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
The block is 0.030 over and has one sleeve.  The sleeve has "fallen" and so needs replaced.  I don't know if the block can be decked enough to get down to the sleeve, or even if that is a good idea. 

I like Blair Patrick's idea of using a stepped sleeve.  That is, it is wider at the top.  That would require less boring.

The block has been repaired by Hotrod guy up north of Green Bay.  A rod came out the side.  I drove up there and back without stopping.  :)

I have an Adney Brown stroked 391 crank and Howard's (Competition Products) ((Oliver)) 6.5" "SBC" rods to complete the short block.  I will need custom pistons, of course. 

I want to get started on it now.

I have Program main caps for it.

paulie
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:50:28 PM by plovett »

plovett

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »

I once drove to Paxton, Nebraska from KC (7+ hours) just to have Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by hundreds of dead animals.  It was worth it for me.  :)

Olie's Big Game Steak House and Lounge. It is amazing.

https://www.olesbiggame.com/

paulie

plovett

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »
Jim died earlier in the year. 

How close are you to KY?  Meet you half way?

I will talk to you.  Thanks.

paulie