Author Topic: Bullocks Power Service 461 EFI truck, iron head, Victor intake, HFT - 490 HP  (Read 2378 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Performance Summary:
      Cubic Inches:    461    Dyno brand:  Stuska
      Power Adder:              Where dynoed:  Dale Meers Racing Engines
      Peak Horsepower:   490 @ 5000 RPM      Peak Torque:   554 @ 4250 RPM

Horsepower and Torque Curves:

Engine Specifications:
   Block brand, material, finished bore size, other notes:  Ford industrial ribbed 428,  4.155 bore, squared, deck plate honed, 10.155 deck

Crankshaft brand, cast or forged, stroke, journal size:  SCAT cast 4.25 stroke

Connecting Rods brand, material, center to center distance, end sizes, bolts:  Scat I-beam, 6.70"

Piston brand, material 4032 forged Autotec, 24cc D-cup w/ symmetrical valve reliefs, SCR 9.75:1, .010 above deck

Main Bearings, Rod Bearings, Cam Bearings brand and size:  TRW full-groove .001 under, coated FM rod bearings .001 under, Durabond cam bearings

Piston rings brand, size, other notes:  Mahle, standard tension 1.5mm/1.5mm/3.0 mm

Oil Pump, pickup, and drive:  Melling HV, Milodon pickup, Doug Garifo drive

Oil pan, windage tray, oil filter adapter:  Ford rear sump 4x4, Ford windage tray drilled on downward side, factory Ford 90 degree oil filter adapter

Oil and filter: 20w50 Penngrade with Wix Racing 1515R

Camshaft brand, type (hyd/solid, flat tappet or roller), lift and duration (adv and @.050"):  Custom Comp Cams hydraulic flat tappet, over 15 years old, 280/286 advertised, 230/236 @ .050, 112  LSA, 106 ICL, .585/.585
   Lifters brand, type:  Comp
   Timing chain and timing cover:  Ford Racing, factory Ford cover

Cylinder heads brand, material, port and chamber information:  Fomoco D2TE-AA , ported by Les Schmader

Cylinder head flow in cfm at inches of lift (28" H2O pressure drop):
. Lift    Int    Exh
.200    167    122
.300    217    166
.400    264    180
.500    273    182
.600    277    184
.700    277    186

No pipe     

Flow bench used, location:  Les Schmader

Intake valve brand, head size, stem size:   Offshore stainless, 2.09", 3/8"

Exhaust valve brand, head size, stem size:  Offshore stainless, 1.67, 3/8"

Valve springs brand, part number, specs:   Alex Parts 1.50 springs, max lift design,

Retainers and locks brand, part number, specs:  Alex parts, with steel comp keepers

Rocker arm brand, type (adjustable or non-adj), material, ratio:  Lykins non adjustable rollers

Rocker shafts and stands, brand, material: Sealed Power replacement shafts, stock alum Ford stands with studs and tins, no end stands

Pushrods brand, type, length:  Trend custom

Valve covers, brand, type:  Tony Branda chrome pentroof

Distributor brand, advance curve information:  MSD, 38 all in by 2600 for dyno only, will have ECM controlled timing

Harmonic balancer brand:  Powerbond

Water pump brand, type (mechanical or electric):  Edelbrock

Intake manifold brand, material, porting information:  Edelbrock Victor EFI with injectors installed, port matched to 1247, light blend work on plenum roof

Carburetor(s) brand, type:  SP Carburetors 800-830, dyno carb, everyone was unsure LOL but over 800.  Engine will get 1000 cfm EFI throttle body with port injection

Exhaust manifolds or headers brand, type: Dyno headers
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:22:04 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: 461 FE EFI truck engine, iron head, Victor intake, flat tappet
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
Videos added, if you see the engine upside down, turn your monitor to make it look right :)  We had the phone on a stand and I clearly put it upside down.  Hoping to edit somehow

https://youtu.be/VpuKN0V7ctA

https://youtu.be/6CPwAhOhdZ4

You'll notice how short a 5000 rpm pull is, sounds funny after the big boys

I also wanted to throw out some truth data on this one.

This engine used a 15+ year old custom comp cam I had, nothing high tech but really good for the EFI build.  Given that it was broken in, I was less worried, but also wanted to make sure it had a good break in and had a combination of 20w50 Brad Penn and a quart of 30w break in oil (we poked the oil filter loading it onto a shop trolley)  It had plenty of oil pressure (nothing like the TFS motor) but I could have dropped back to 10w30 in hindsight.

Additionally, given the fact that it is going to be an EFI motor, we did ZERO tuning on the carb.  We bolted it on and with the A/F safe, only determined what it liked for total timing, and took it off the pump.

In no way am I making excuses for this motor, it made 40 HP more than I expected, and 15 more than Brent thought, but If Brent and I weren't so busy dynoing 4 motors in two days, 2 of mine, 1 of his, and junky-junk, I likely would have done a hero run with some spacers, fussy tuning, and thinner oil, but at this point, the truck will be dangerous already LOL  I will say that the whole gang was willing to play with it, but I just didn't see a good reason to work a carb and spacer design I'd never see in the truck

If I did this motor again, with the same heads, and wasn't cheap on my own stuff,  I likely would add 6 degrees on both sides of the cam, and spread the centers to 114. I think it would have driven the peaks up a bit, while still letting the vacuum stay high
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 11:04:29 AM by My427stang »
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:47:46 PM »
Cool test!
What about those "Offshore" valves is that a brand name, like "Offset" (Cardi B's boyfriend as a reminder)?
On the valve springs - was there enough spring?
The Gonkulator gave the same HP but peaked at 5400rpm.

The one change the Gonkulator liked best was just to retard the cam 4 degrees-
Gained 9 ftlb and 18 hp at the peaks.

Excellent flow from those heads, no wonder.
They do flatten out at .500 lift - probably back in the early 60s, you couldn't go over .500 lift anyway so nobody tried to make the heads flow above that.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »
Cool test!
What about those "Offshore" valves is that a brand name, like "Offset" (Cardi B's boyfriend as a reminder)?
On the valve springs - was there enough spring?
The Gonkulator gave the same HP but peaked at 5400rpm.

The one change the Gonkulator liked best was just to retard the cam 4 degrees-
Gained 9 ftlb and 18 hp at the peaks.

Excellent flow from those heads, no wonder.
They do flatten out at .500 lift - probably back in the early 60s, you couldn't go over .500 lift anyway so nobody tried to make the heads flow above that.

Werby,
They are PEP valves in that engine, nothing fancy, stainless undercut aftermarket in CJ size, 3/8 stems.  I probably could have used a little more seat pressure, or maybe lighten things up, but I don't have a lot of room from coil bind to just add shim, it would have taken a different spring.

As far as retarding the cam, yes, when you run a cam that is a bit small, I'd expect it to gain like that, but the use in a 4x4 truck with EFI I wanted to keep vacuum way up and part throttle/low RPM to be as clean as possible.  I might have went 2 degrees and a little more seat pressure in hindsight, but likely not retard it more  unless I added compression

The heads are tough, two things that affect making power with D2s, The small volume is awesome for torque and power, but in the end, they are a small runner head and have their limits.  I think a little more intake valve may have helped with associated bowl work and an 11/32 stem certainly would have too.  Additionally the exhaust is just never as good as a higher CJ port, but as you said, they worked good, and for a small volume runner, they are pretty happy for the use

I think with minimal tuning (really none other than setting timing), injectors hanging in the ports, thick oil,  I could have nudged 500 hp with a few minor changes, but this one was a budget stroker because the owner (me) doesn't pay well :)  not to mention, the internet sweetheart "Junky Junk" was next up and getting impatient LOL
Ross