Author Topic: Ford vs Ferrari  (Read 9983 times)

FEfun

• View Profile
Ford vs Ferrari
« on: November 15, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PhBesrEN18w

Here is my little piece of Shelby racing history.

badcatt

• View Profile
Re: Ford vs Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:35:27 PM »
I went and say the movie today. I really enjoyed it. While it's a little long looking athe run time, it goes by fast. The racing scenes were good and for the most part done well. I plan to go see it again and then when it comes out on disc I will get a copy for my collection.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:45:56 AM »
I saw it tonight, and was really impressed.  Great racing scenes, the best since Gran Prix many years ago.  Worth the price of admission, that's for sure...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:15:42 AM »
Jay, what would your thoughts have been when you saw the 427 shaking like crazy on the dyno?!  I was wondering if it was going to jump off!  ;D  Kidding aside, I loved the movie too; lots of the historical characters and cars with a story of family and friendship woven around it. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

plovett

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
I am going to see it today.  I hope it is as good as Grand Prix and Lemans.

paulie

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
I plan on seeing it today and hope it's as good as you folks say. I remember seeing LeMans with Steve McQueen back in '71 I think it was and that was really great for the times.
40 degrees out today and won't get to wake up my beast for a drive after the movie :(

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
Good movie.
Fun to watch as a movie, and fun to watch as a "car guy".
Its easy to critique the nuances of automotive stuff in there, but it was much better than most for certain

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
I plan on seeing it today and hope it's as good as you folks say. I remember seeing LeMans with Steve McQueen back in '71 I think it was and that was really great for the times.
40 degrees out today and won't get to wake up my beast for a drive after the movie :(

20 deg here i dont se it as a problem ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHH-LxbMTrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rpsq4aTkl8

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

plovett

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
It was a really good movie.  Some silly things, but still very good.  Like halfway down the Mulsanne straight, THEN they put the throttle all the way down.  LOL!  The Henry Ford II crying scene wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  He was more like crying with joy.

They just touched on Carol Shelby being a jackass.  In real life, he was a big one from what I've read.  In the movie he was pretty likeable. 

Overall, a VERY cool movie.

JMO,

paulie

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »
I thought it was great,We got a group of 16 Ford fanatics to see it, I have only seen one GT 40 of that vintage in real life they sound so good, well done as far as I see it Leny Mason.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
I thought it was great, but I don't know enough about the history to determine fact or fiction on some of the stuff, like the bit with the lug nut. That was hilarious. I was like a junkie getting a fix watching and hearing the cars. .
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Here's a bit of a story for you.

In the mid-sixties, I was working at Ford and going to a downtown school to take a few classes. (The school is now absorbed into Wayne State University, Detroit's downtown University.) I had some time in the afternoon, and walked from school to Cobo Hall, where what is now the North American International Auto Show was in process of starting up.

Just as I got to the front doors, an eighteen-wheeler pulled into the semicircular drive. It was painted and graphic-ed with SHELBY all over it. It stopped, and a small crew in Shelby uniforms opened the back doors and started unloading the cars. One was a full competition Cobra. It, along with the others were hand-rolled onto the pavement. Very soon Shelby and a TV crew came out, and standing on the other side of the line of cars, in the middle of the drive, started into a 'stand-up' interview. The 'talking head' asked if one of the cars could be started, and one of the Shelby crew members opened the hood of the Cobra, and then got it, gave the throttle a couple of healthy hits and cranked it over.

When the 427 MR fired, it spit back through the Holley and set itself on fire. I was standing on the curb right in line with the engine, and since it was, at that time, the NAIAS was held in the cold of January, (or maybe February) I was wearing gloves. I took one step and put my hands over the the top of the carb and snuffed it out. It didn't even harm the gloves.

The 'stand-up' finished within two or three minutes and the crowd began to disperse. Shelby came over to me and thanked me, and then asked me if I wanted to go for a short ride. Cobo Hall is right on the Detroit River Waterfront and there's a drive alongside it that goes down and to the back where there's underground parking. There's also several freight elevators that were used to lift the cars onto the display floor.

We made that 2-3 minute trip into the garage and then up into the Hall. Shelby gave me a souvenir Cobra pin and he autographed a copy of the just-out book 'The Cobra Story' and gave that to me as well.

His well-known antics make it clear that he was more than a bit of an A**hole in many ways, but he treated me very well on that cold afternoon.

KS

Answer for below---The trip was very short and I don't think Shelby got all the way through the gears before we were in the garage. Acceleration was just what you'd expect from a 427 Competition Cobra. ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:52:32 PM by cammerfe »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
Now that is cool!!!!. Well how was the ride?

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »
That’s s great story.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
Saw it, and really liked it. Is it perfect? Nope. Entertaining? Yes. I've never really paid much attention to the LeMans story, or cared, but it has made me read up on the subject, and just maybe, this movie will do the same for others?