Author Topic: EMC not picked up by Motor Trend Group for 2020.  (Read 1936 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
EMC not picked up by Motor Trend Group for 2020.
« on: November 10, 2019, 12:01:04 AM »
It appears that Engine Masters Challenge is not going to be picked up by Motor Trend Group next year.   Hate to see that, but the last couple of years have had some issues with rules and communication.  Race Engine Challenge may pick up some participants if they are a go for the next year.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Royce

• View Profile
Re: EMC not picked up by Motor Trend Group for 2020.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »
That's discouraging... We thought it died 2 years ago but JE stepped in with sponsorship and a venue...  The lustre has really worn off since the days Popular Hot Rodding had it. It has always been the redhead stepchild at whatever this magazine conglomerate calls itself today. It just can't compete with drag week and Power tour when is comes to resources allocated and sponsorship..
There is another dyno racing competition in Charlotte NC.  Maybe that one will blossom and take Engine Master's place.  On a positive note  it really has spurred some development on our dinosaur Ford engines  MEL, Lincoln Y,  Ford Y, and FE... 600 horse Y Blocks and 800 horse MELs  who would have thunk it..
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
I am sure there the Chevy-centric organizers just could not think of the wording for rules to keep it from being another Ford win next year. "Do we require GM Part numbers on all parts? What if Kaase finds GM sold army trucks with Ford YBlocks?" 

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »
They tried and tried and tried to push the modern engines, with specific classes for the LS and  Coyote. Nobody entered...The guys that participate want to build traditional stuff, which does not fit in with the direction of the magazines or the ad budgets of advertisers..There were some awesome entries over the years full of innovation and out of the box thinking..And yes they did their best to hold the FoMoCo entries down  with rules that handcuffed Kaase and others... Jon once told me if rules were limited to 2 valve heads a Cleveland would win every time..
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 08:07:42 AM »
Some unknown hillbilly from Tennessee rolling in and knocking out the competition with a Ford engine that had no business being there, let alone taking the main prize, must have been the final straw ;D
I hate to see it go. I really looked forward to seeing what far-out ideas Kaase would come up with next.

Royce, thank you for letting me be a part of your crew and allowing me to help out. It was a really fun thing to do, and gave me the privilege of speaking with Kaase on a few occasions. I do appreciate it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
It really "died" a couple years ago along with Popular Hot Rodding and the departure of Ed Zinke and the other folks that made it what it was.  A few interested and motivated folks with the Motor Trend (previously TEN, Petersen, etc) group pulled a heroic effort to give it a couple years lease on life, but in the end the apathy of the ownership organization took its toll. 

When JE decided not to re-up their sponsorship there really was no place left to go.  All the other sponsors had been either ignored or milked dry, and with minimal media exposure (lots of video and staff on site, but almost none of their work ever made it out to the world at large) there simply is no real product to sell to the performance manufacturing community that funds this sort of thing.

Misguided rules were contrived to reduce or eliminate the level of creativity that made the event fun to watch and participate in.  They "forced" the engines to look the same - single four barrels, basic ignitions, factory components - while the performance market itself had already embraced creative induction and aftermarket parts for decades.  This alienated all the manufacturers that sponsored and actually paid for the deal, and made the builds less appealing to the magazine reader who was looking to see stuff that was cool and creative, rather than see the same old deal again and again.  The rulesmakers continuously tried to make EMC a multi-class deal without a single "winner" at the end of the week  That strategy never worked, but they kept coming up with new secondary classes where nobody entered, and were often either dropped entirely or populated by one or two entries and a couple shills or placeholders to make it look better.  Wasted a lot of money.

When they announced last years rules at PRI a few of us in the audience directly told them that somebody like Blair (a couple of us including me specifically mentioned him by name) would simply come in and take it outright.  I really think they thought that a small block Chevrolet was going to take it.  They did not understand that Blair has pretty much been building that engine to similar rules for his entire life, and he showed them what he could do.  The best of the SBC entries was dyno'd at my place (I was surprised that we did that well among those entered), and after discussions with Blair before the contest I knew going in that neither I nor Adney's SBC had anything for him.

I am really going to miss this contest.  Its about the only event I could really afford to do from a competitive standpoint and a time management perspective.  I made a lot of friends, learned a lot, and all the competitors worked hard to help all of us to get better at what we do.  I suppose its time to make a change....

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
They did a terrible job of covering the event this time around, and like you said Barry, almost none of the coverage made it forward to any place that people are looking (instagram, facebook, etc).

I really enjoy watching the engine masters show on Motortrend and it's the only reason I pay the $5 or $6 a month to get that Motor Trend on Demand streaming service. If they really wanted the event to survive, they would get Brule/Frieburger/Dulcich to host the event and stir up some viewership. Sponsors would hop on that in a heartbeat. Not sure how much those guys cost for a 1/2 week of pay?

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
They did a terrible job of covering the event this time around, and like you said Barry, almost none of the coverage made it forward to any place that people are looking (instagram, facebook, etc).

I really enjoy watching the engine masters show on Motortrend and it's the only reason I pay the $5 or $6 a month to get that Motor Trend on Demand streaming service. If they really wanted the event to survive, they would get Brule/Frieburger/Dulcich to host the event and stir up some viewership. Sponsors would hop on that in a heartbeat. Not sure how much those guys cost for a 1/2 week of pay?

Have to disagree with this.  It was a those guys that killed EMC with their lack of commitment to getting the rules written in an orderly fashion, and checking the rules for making sense.  The guy that was a part of it, completely walked away and left it hanging.  Those of us that were involved during that time were left hanging and no one answered questions.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500