Author Topic: Project Junky Junk  (Read 37326 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Project Junky Junk
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2020, 09:33:09 AM »
The only 352 FE in the world with titanium valves! Gotta love it. Only missing a high-zoot dry sump system I guess. 
Bob Maag

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:54 PM »
Any details on the new stick? Juice or solid?
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
Still plugging along....

I remembered that I had sold Wes Adams a 360 crankshaft that had been turned down/widened to BBC rod journals, so I asked him if he still had it.  He did.  I then asked if he wanted to sell it.  He did.  Long story short, it's here again.  :)

I also bought some connecting rods. 

Block work is completely finished.

Streetmaster intake is off to JDC to be ported.

New bumpstick is a custom solid roller.   Similar specs to the flat tappet.  Couldn't grind on a 104, so I went as tight as I could without having to have a special core made.  It's on a 106.

Decided to go the cheap route and use the C0AE-D heads that I had.  They are all cleaned up now and look absolutely beautiful.   New 7mm bronze guides installed, spring seats milled flat, and valve job completed.   These things are not performers as of right now and not sure they will be but I'm gonna be working on that.   With a 2.125" 7mm intake valve and a 1.600" 7mm exhaust valve, with a 3-angle valve job and some seat blending, we're dealing with a blistering 240 cfm @ .700".  The exhaust side (without a pipe) is 165 cfm at .700".   It is what it is and if I can get them up to out of the box Edelbrock standards, I'll call it a day and aim for 500-525 hp. 

Waiting on the cylinder head work to be finished before I order pistons.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

wcbrowning

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »
So which cylinder heads will you choose, now that you've sold the C0AE-D heads?

Which connecting rods did you buy?

Still plugging along....

I remembered that I had sold Wes Adams a 360 crankshaft that had been turned down/widened to BBC rod journals, so I asked him if he still had it.  He did.  I then asked if he wanted to sell it.  He did.  Long story short, it's here again.  :)

New bumpstick is a custom solid roller.   Similar specs to the flat tappet.  Couldn't grind on a 104, so I went as tight as I could without having to have a special core made.  It's on a 106.

Decided to go the cheap route and use the C0AE-D heads that I had.  They are all cleaned up now and look absolutely beautiful.   New 7mm bronze guides installed, spring seats milled flat, and valve job completed.   These things are not performers as of right now and not sure they will be but I'm gonna be working on that.   With a 2.125" 7mm intake valve and a 1.600" 7mm exhaust valve, with a 3-angle valve job and some seat blending, we're dealing with a blistering 240 cfm @ .700".  The exhaust side (without a pipe) is 165 cfm at .700".   It is what it is and if I can get them up to out of the box Edelbrock standards, I'll call it a day and aim for 500-525 hp. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:18:31 AM by wcbrowning »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:22 AM »
So which cylinder heads will you choose, now that you've sold the C0AE-D heads?

Which connecting rods did you buy?

Still plugging along....

Trick Flow.

I bought a set of MGP aluminum rods. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
"I bought a set of MGP aluminum rods."

What length and how much do they weigh? I never see weights on aluminum rods, just curious... 600ish+_ grams or? Seem to hear about GRP and MGP the most for aluminum rods, any particular reason you picked MGP?
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2020, 11:28:46 AM »
Have Trick Flows become your “go to” head? And why?
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:51 AM »

What length and how much do they weigh? I never see weights on aluminum rods, just curious... 600ish+_ grams or? Seem to hear about GRP and MGP the most for aluminum rods, any particular reason you picked MGP?

Thor, I can get MGP through Diamond pistons.  These are 7.265" in length, with a BBC rod journal, and a .990" pin diameter.  I haven't put them on a rod scale yet, but overall weight per rod is 696g, including both bolts, washers, and the dowel. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
Have Trick Flows become your “go to” head? And why?

I'm a big fan of them.

The small chamber has a very efficient chamber shape and is smaller than most "normal" FE heads, which lets me use a lighter piston because I get to take more volume out of the piston.  Most of the chambers have came in right around 69.5-70cc.  The heads flow as advertised on the flow bench, which means a lot to me.  About 330 cfm with a 169-170 cc port volume.  Great flow from a small port.  Valve jobs on the seats are spot on, fit and finish is nice.   They make excellent power as well....540 hp from a 6000 rpm 390 with a hydraulic roller, pump gas, Performer RPM...…..680 hp from a 465 with a solid flat tappet, etc. 

The cons are that the flow on the intake side seems to back up at around .650" lift.  The rocker stand pads are whopper jawed too.  Not a fan of cutting stands down, but we make it work. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2020, 02:28:49 PM »
Is the 360, a forged, truck crank?
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »
Is the 360, a forged, truck crank?

Cast.  361 would be a forged truck crank.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »

Thor, I can get MGP through Diamond pistons.  These are 7.265" in length, with a BBC rod journal, and a .990" pin diameter.  I haven't put them on a rod scale yet, but overall weight per rod is 696g, including both bolts, washers, and the dowel. 

I did some FEA 3D modeling for them when I was in college. I had access to some pretty cool software programs that would cost a company thousands to get their hands on for a private business. The owner was very cool. I was just a goofy college kid but he was plenty willing to listen to my opinions on what things worked well and what things didn't work so well. One of their experimental rods and main caps sits on my desk at work.

I saw a pro-stock rod when I was in their shop that I wasn't supposed to. This was 10 years ago now so I assume this trick is far outdated and I'm not letting any cat out of the bag, but, the beam of the rod was shaped like an oval or airfoil.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2020, 05:32:30 AM »

I did some FEA 3D modeling for them when I was in college. I had access to some pretty cool software programs that would cost a company thousands to get their hands on for a private business. The owner was very cool. I was just a goofy college kid but he was plenty willing to listen to my opinions on what things worked well and what things didn't work so well. One of their experimental rods and main caps sits on my desk at work.

I saw a pro-stock rod when I was in their shop that I wasn't supposed to. This was 10 years ago now so I assume this trick is far outdated and I'm not letting any cat out of the bag, but, the beam of the rod was shaped like an oval or airfoil.

I'd say they're doing pretty well now, as Race Winning Brands bought them. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »
Block is done.....she looks a lot different than she used to. 

Got some more Trick Flow bare heads on the way.  Gonna mock one up with valves to make sure we don't have any clearance issues and then it will be on to the next step.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »
This is going to be one unique engine. Very cool. And thanks for keeping us updated, I check frequently in hopes you have offered a new sneak peak.