Author Topic: CNC iron heads  (Read 4794 times)

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
CNC iron heads
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:41:09 AM »
Well, we sold the heads off the Engine Masters engine before we got home.  We cut four more pairs last week, three of which are also sold.  I have one pair currently not spoken for that is ready for finish work.  We are selling the heads for $2200 including valves and all finish work, ready for springs, at 75cc chamber volume.  We can mill more for a minor additional cost.  I would stop at 70cc to leave plenty of deck thickness.  We ran the contest heads at 71 cc.

If you have heads that you want to have ported, we can port and do all finish work, ready for springs for $2K.  The programs will work on any LR 427 castings, C4ae-G, C6ae-R, Cobra Jet N heads, and most any other Low Riser style general production FE heads.  I try to run four or five sets at a time, as there is a set up change for doing iron castings on the cnc mill.  If interested, contact me via email at captcj at hughes dot net, or call the shop at 423-837-1514.  Email is the best for initial contact.  Thanks very much.
Blair Patrick

FEfun

• View Profile
Re: CNC iron heads
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
Can it be done to C7AE-A or C0AE-D heads?
Thanks,
Keith
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:20:24 AM by FEfun »

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
Won't work in the "short port" heads like the C7-A.  Probably will work in the early D head, but we'd have to discuss that.
Thanks
Blair Patrick

Machspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
Are you willing to give the flow numbers for the cnc heads that you ran? I understand if the answer is no. I'm mostly curious of how they compare to the sets I have that were hand ported.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 11:59:25 PM »
I'd rather sell heads based on proven performance rather than just a set of numbers.  Flow benches and operator methods can produce such a variance in numbers that is very difficult to draw informed conclusions.......not to mention the volume and cross section in conjunction with the flow  "numbers".  If you sent me your head, to be flowed on my flowbench, and the runner volume and cross section compared, we could draw real conclusions.  I would only be interested in doing something like that if you were pretty serious about buying some heads.

Not to say that it is by any means impossible to hand port heads as good as these, but I spent seven days on the development of one intake port, and I've ground on one or two FE heads before I did it.  It would be a major and super expensive undertaking to port eight holes by hand and equal the performance and repeatability of the digitized test port recreated by cnc porting.
Blair Patrick