Author Topic: Ring files - Grit and Design  (Read 2161 times)

DuckRyder

• View Profile
Ring files - Grit and Design
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:02:15 AM »
Needing a new ring file (just a manual crank set up) looking at summit there are two choices that appear to work differently:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-906795/overview/

This set up seems to be sold under a number of brands and includes the two post that you press the ring into, it seems to file both ends of the ring simulatiniously and is 80 grit which seems quite coarse.

and

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-906000/overview/  (click on instructions for a pdf with pictures)

This set up seems to file only one end of the ring but I’m not sure I understand how the locator works (again instructions) and it is 140/170 grit.

Filing only one end seems to cut the chance of creating burrs or chipping moly coating in half...

Any recommendations/experience around these or similar set ups. (I’m open to other set ups / suppliers too.

Am I missing something?

Robert

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Ring files - Grit and Design
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
It files one side. Like you're supposed to. It assures one side stays square. I bought the second design. It allows the ring to stay located to the right and square to the cutting surface. The disc is a diamond impregnated metal disc. It seemed very slow cutting to me.
                                                                                          -Keith

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:27:40 AM »
I don't think it matters what grit is used; the end of the ring does nothing but hang in open space. The important part is to get the gap right. As far as burrs, the ring should always be dressed on the end after filing, even before each check, so that you're not putting a scratch or groove in the bore as it's pushed down. Some fine grit paper would work for that and would be easier than trying to use a small file. In my opinion, unless you have some experience in using the 2 sided file, you'll have less of a chance of going too far if you only file one end. If you do use one that files both ends, then you'll want to be very careful and sneak up on the correct gap slowly. It's a long and tedious process regardless, using the piston each and every check to make sure the ring is square in the bore, and down the bore a couple of inches so the piston is square and not slightly cocked in the bore. Taking your time will result in a much better result.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
I actually used a dressing stone post filing. They tell you not to use a file.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:23 AM »
I clamp a fine tooth flat file in the vice and hand scrub the gap with that - always hand squeeze and push towards the vice to remove metal, release, move back, close, push.  About 10 passes at a time.  Then dress then edges with a oiled whetstone. Clean, install, check, repeat. 

Also, once a set is sized they stay in that cylinder until they get installed on that piston.  Just my way of keeping things straight during assembly. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:47:51 AM by Falcon67 »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
I love that cheapo crank version, but it cuts FAST be careful

I made a bracket so it easily fits in a vise, cheap and easy, works well.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »
The shop I use had always used the antique hand crank style for years.  Had a plate that clamped in a vise.  You have to be very careful and hold the ring the same way with the same tension to cut it consistently.  I would count revolutions to keep track of how much I was cutting.  Once you got the feel, it went pretty quick.

The shop now has an electric powered version.  Clamp the ring against a stop and has a depth mic to adjust your cut amount.
Kind of like this model:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tsr-prf-812dw/overview/

It makes really quick work.  I then use a hone stone to dress the ground edges to remove any burr.
Larry

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »
Well I messed around and didn’t order one.

If anyone has one of the Billet type they would like to sell, rent, loan or otherwise barter please PM me...  ;D
Robert

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 02:50:21 AM »
Do you still need to use a file? This is the one I have. I can try and dig it out for you.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csum2505