Author Topic: Gasoline and carb cleaner resistant ink  (Read 2672 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Gasoline and carb cleaner resistant ink
« on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
The original Holley's have an ink stamp.... the stuff is resilient as can be.  It can survive 50 years, multiple cleanings in who knows what, and me running it through the ultrasonic, etc.

I started ink stamping, and noted it isn't terribly gasoline or carb cleaner resistant.
So I went and bought some ink designed for stamping on oily metals, stuff was expensive.
Same problem.

I wondered if maybe Mr Bunetic runs into the same problem, so I have like a dozen of his carbs in here, sure enough, same result, the stuff just runs off.
Sure it's kinda nice in a way if I mess up an ink stamp that I can wipe it off and redo it, but I'm kinda looking for something more durable.

I know the brain trust here spans all sorts of topics, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks,
Drew

71050176_10218026452486433_564757572012212224_n by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

IMG_1458 by Drew Pojedinec, on Flickr

TJ

• View Profile
Re: Gasoline and carb cleaner resistant ink
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
Whatever it is will most likely be 2 component or have some type of cross linking chemistry...like epoxy, urethane, or silicone to achieve the solvent resistance. Most inks dry by solvent or water evaporation and won't have the solvent resistance you need.

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »
I don't know if this will endure gasoline but it resists ethanol!  I also found a place that list "Mil-Spec" inks, one of which is a 2-part epoxy that sounds like a PIA to use but the same place also offers a single stage epoxy that is similar in properties but not "Mil-Spec.  I would probably try the solvent resistant stuff first, then graduate to the epoxy if it doesn't work out.

https://www.indianastamp.com/category/num-440-noris-ink/
Jim

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
Awesome, thanks Jim.

I have plenty of valueless cores laying around to experiment with, so what could go wrong :P

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
You said it not me. ;)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
You said it not me. ;)

It's alright, I asked on a Professional engine builders forum and two guys suggested engraving with an air gun....
I mean, seriously.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 05:09:43 PM »
Related but unrelated...this rang a bell with me and struck a memory from a decade ago....I was in purchasing then and we used a lot of color labels and printed box artwork. We had to reevaluate everything during a year because of a new mandate...I think from EPA... on inks and dyes.  No kidding, I would not have ever thought it to be a problem....like a lot of stuff...it may kill you if you drink but it works... then gets taken off the market.  Never thought I would see something that made me think of that.... 
I have not seen one ink stamped myself but I will say it is cool.  I need to get out more often  8)