Author Topic: Fe auto trans?  (Read 2605 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Fe auto trans?
« on: October 02, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
Only two alternativ, Cruice o matic and C6 right? Finding a FE C6 in Sweden is like
finding a honest politician. I have 3 C-O-M but building one for a 447 is no alternativ
i guess. C 4 have removabel bellhousing so adapting a C-O-M bell would be possible
but still 3 speed. How about different 4speed Ford autos? one piece housing but possible
to cut of the bell and adapt C-O-M bell, anyone used one in a 64 Galaxie do you need to
cut the floor. AOD,AOED, 4R70W wich one to use? Any books about modifie them?
Maybe i got a lead on a E4OD how are they? A fourspeed C-6 if i got it right
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:39:39 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: Fe auto trans?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:49:34 PM »
Heo, check out Broaderperformance.com.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
No galaxy but it covers the trans conversion :

https://www.fordfe.com/4r70w-transmission-is-done-t110660.html
Mike

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:48:31 AM »
Heo,  I do have experience sort of with the E40D behind an FE.  I ran a C6 in my '62 Galaxie before I swapped to three pedals. It had an E40D 'wide-ratio' gear swap, -10% first gear, -5% second gear same C6 third gear if I remember correctly.   I ran 3.00 gearing with my old 390 and it really seemed to help get off the stoplight well for a heavy old barge. 

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »
I would use a 4R70 for its compact size and strength and use one of these to control it https://www.usshift.com/

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
2nd vote for Broader Performance.  I run a Broader built AOD behind the 352 in my '62 Monterey Wagon and love it.  I don't know what problems in shipping a trans from Texas to Scandavia would crop up, but I imagine more then a few hurdles would pop up.

The floor of my Monterey was rusted out, so when I built the car, the new floor was made to fit the AOD drivetrain, so I couldn't tell you if you would run into problems with the stock floor or not.  That said, you will have to modify the transmission crossmember for an AOD.  The mount is about 6" further rearward than the original Cruis-O mount.

The biggest problem with the AOD conversion is when adapting both the Cruis-O bell (Broader), or the Quicktime bell is it limits you to a 11" or smaller custom torque convertor.  It is very difficult to build an 11" convertor with a low stall (less than 2000 rpm), for highway use in a heavy land barge behind a big displacement, torquey FE.  If you want a higher stall for running on the track or in a lightweight car, no problem.  I used the Quicktime Bellhousing to adapt an AOD to the 390 in my '76 F-250.  That 390 made right around 450 ft-lbs of torque, and I had 3 torque convertors built to try to get the stall down low enough so as not to cook the oil at North Dakota highway speeds (75+) while towing.  I eventually gave up and put a C6 back in it.  Hindsight being 20/20 I should have converted to manual since I had a New Process 435 under the bench and Ranger Gear Splitter OD's are much cheaper than multiple custom torque convertors.....

The 3rd option is to order a Bendsten's or Wilcap adaptor plate and use the original AOD or 700R4 bell with a 12" or larger convertor if needed.  I have a friend who used the Bendsten's adapter to put an AOD behind his 500+ ft-lbs 428 in his '64 Marauder.  The down fall is the Bendsten's adapter pushes the trans 1.5" rearward.  This required some "massaging" of the firewall to get the AOD to fit properly.

https://transmissionadapters.com/collections/ford/products/ford-fe-352-360-390-406-410-427-428-to-ford-aod

The Broader AOD with the Cruis-O bell adapted to it.

Modified Transmission crossmember.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:19:17 PM by FrozenMerc »

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:33:55 PM »
They're pretty expensive for what you get, but Bendstend's (I think that's how it's spelled), makes an adapter plate to bolt to the FE block and accepts pretty much any transmission. I am using one to put a 4R100 behind a 390 in a pickup. The AOD is a decent option, but in a heavier car I've found running a C6 input shaft is a good move. You loose the lockup function this way, but the the 2 piece inputs don't hold up to weight and power in my limited experience.

The adapter is expensive and more time consuming on install (indicating everything in to make sure it's where it should be on the block and then again to the trans), but I can run a stock Ford case and any chocie of converter. Since it's going in a truck I wanted something bigger than an AOD. Have to use a small block or mod motor trans case.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 01:39:34 AM »
Thanks guys, I don't mind some machining and fabricating
After all that's the reason why i play with this old junk to build
my own things. But i don't want to cut up the floor in the virgin
Galaxie body. 4R70W looks like the best alternative so far.
But i have a stash of Laycock overdrives must dig up a C4 and
try to mate them together...
I found a 89 Bronco with destroyed rear end cheap but thats a AOD right? Does it have
a rollercam 302, thats after 85 right? if so i buy it anyway. Stepson
could use the entire driveline in his Fairlane

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 06:48:09 AM »
Looking at my Ford EPC, I don't believe the 89 was a roller cam motor. It appears that 1992 was the first year for roller cams in the Bronco. The AOD and C6 were both available in the 89 Bronco with a 5.0L. Jim

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
Looking at my Ford EPC, I don't believe the 89 was a roller cam motor. It appears that 1992 was the first year for roller cams in the Bronco. The AOD and C6 were both available in the 89 Bronco with a 5.0L. Jim

A lot of the 302 and 351's in the late 80's used in truck apps were roller blocks but had flat tappets installed. It's a crap shoot with truck stuff, I've seen verified original engines in late 90's stuff with flat tappets, and had a 91 351 F350 in our fleet that had a roller in it. I suspect Ford would use whatever they had in the truck platforms.

Only way to know for sure is to pop the intake or try and snake a bore camera down there and take a peak.