Author Topic: Bad day at the Coffeyville Street Drags  (Read 2417 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Bad day at the Coffeyville Street Drags
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:08:20 PM »
They had a fatality there over the weekend. This is held in Coffeyville, Ks and they setup a make shift 1/8 mile track in the industrial park once a year. They require the cars to complete a 50mile(I think) street drive right before racing. I guess I am getting old but this whole "no prep" thing is a little too much for me given the kind of power cars are making now days. It said he was 120 mph when he lost control of his car, hit the other car and ran into a utility pole. 120mph in the 1/8 mile is moving along pretty good. Too bad for him. He was only 27. That'll probably spell the end of that event.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/horsepower-wars-star-joe-hunt-dies-in-tragic-racing-accident/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:31:21 PM by AlanCasida »

bobb428

• View Profile
Re: Bad day at the Coffeyville Street Drags
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 05:19:53 AM »
Everything I have heard was that he was driving a friends wagon, not his car.

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 12:39:23 PM »
Sad, but we humans are not very good at calculating risk.  All things considered, statistically it was probably much more dangerous for him to drive from Iowa to Coffeyville, then it was to actually race.  If he had died on the road to the event, it would have been just another traffic accident, and nary a word would have been said.  Hopefully the event organizers learn from this and continue on.

The street drags in Coffeyville are probably much safer (at least for the spectators), than the Truck street drags in St. Joseph-Beauce, Quebec.  88,000 lbs at 50 mph has much more kinetic energy than 3000 lbs at 120 mph.

St. Joseph-Beauce.

Coffeyville
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:46:52 PM by FrozenMerc »

centredautomag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
I go to st- joseph one in a while and it is very scary up the hill but they are not called beauceron for notting . We have are own redneck .
Marc

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
Those truck drags are wild... i'd love to go there to see that.

The Coffeyville drags seems to draw all the StreetOutlaws and wannabees. I think after all the crashes that group has had it was only a matter of time before a fatal one.  Looks like they at least put up barriers, so some attempt at safety. I think there were curbs along the road in previous ones i've seen.