Author Topic: Tubro on a 428  (Read 4233 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
Re: Tubro on a 428
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »
What's a "Tubro"?  ;D
I know I wouldn't do it in my Shelby. I barely have enough room for the battery!

-Keith

Locally there still is (so i'm told) a 68 GT500 convertible with a twin turbo 428 built in the late 70's. I saw it on the road being driven about 15 years ago and also saw it back around 1979 . A real packaging job for sure.
i would like to have a dollar for every time you said,i would not do that because its a Shelby.ha ha just kidding.if i had a real Shelby i would be obsessed with keeping it bone stock original.just funnin,not picking on you.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
Look here for tons of pictures
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=1272.0
Page 12  and video on 13
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:41:40 PM by Russ67Scode »
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
Thanks for the link.
 I had looked at it yesterday but reread it today. All most 900 FPT at 4000 is unbelievable and on 7 LBS of boost.
I would like to have two small turbo's but will have to settle for one big one if I go that way. The lag will be a little longer but with that much power on a street car I don't think it matters.
That is one nice Fairlane and if I had the Mustang I would fix it. I have fixed worse.
Greg

Phil Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »
Remember, don't worry about the lag too much as that's just a few seconds where the other guy thinks that he's going to win  ;)

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »
Any kind of lag drives me nuts. On my 08 and 10 Gt mustangs it bothered me so much I put a i think a pdm programmer on the gas peddle.  I think it goes back to when I was a kid and thought I knew everything about making a car run good and would get beat in a race because of carb bog. Made me go to school and learn something about tuning.
I helped my sister in law's mother buy a Volvo S40. The dealer was trying to charge her 34 thousand for it and I got the same car for her for 23 thousand. That car really had some lag- about 3 or 4 seconds. Drove me nut's.
I may not like a single turbo because of this but with the kind of power these put out you may be right.
Does anyone have any pictures of a single turbo set uo on an FE?
Would all so like so input on what size to use on a big block.
Would be really be interested in seeing how the exhaust was run.
Most of the forums I have seen so far are for small engines.
Greg

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »
Shelby had two Paxton superchargers on a couple of Cobras, one was his I believe and one was Bill Cosby's
There were two. The car had many cooling issues. The gain was minimal as well because of the heat and no way to cool the air.

-Keith

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 10:34:30 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of a single turbo set uo on an FE?

Don't know the current status of this project. Hasn't been an update in a while.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=3700.0;all
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
Good link
First pictures I have seen of the exhaust.
Seemed like he had it nailed until you get to the end and he broke some ring lands.
May be 10-1 compression is to much?
Must have had some high EGT's in it. I am interested in what he did wrong with the water injection. Wouldn't want to make the same mistake.
The timing seemed to be a little to much even with the MSD ignition supposed to pull it down, but then I know very little about timing of turbo's.
Thanks for the link.
Greg

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
Russ, I built a 427 Cobra and I heard about a guy having twin turbo's in one, but I don't see how he did, unless he had full exhaust under the car and placed them near the back. What is your car ? Please explain your set-up with pics here or send me a PM. I'm old, and old school, so I refer the blowers over turbo's.

I have a pair of turbo’s on an FE it’s a 427  but still the same basic engine
If I had to start over I would buy a belt driven supercharger
No expensive stainless headers to make  keep the exhaust system you currently have.  Torque storm seems to have a  decent unit for a good price only 6 pounds of boost just what you need!
A blow thru carb would be easier but you can get better overall easier running with EFI
I have a port fuel injection. Great for tuning but the problem is you have to tune it.  LOT of time  and money for dyno rental
I had to learn the EFI thing and tune my own. 
Hope this helps
PS just a note at 7 lbs of boost I made 741 hp at the wheels  or around 900 hp at the flywheel,so 6 lbs should work great for you