Author Topic: TKO600 5-speed short input shaft is too long.  (Read 7089 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: TKO600 5-speed short input shaft is too long.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »
Cant you just chuck a countersunk in a cordless
drill and countersunk  the pilot bushing where it is?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Clark Coe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
Cant you just chuck a countersunk in a cordless
drill and countersunk  the pilot bushing where it is?

Ha!….that would be too easy, Heo! However, that is a really good idea. I am considering making a back cut on the bushing to at least make it sit flush with the crank flange. Your countersink relief will be an easy way to gain more clearance if required. There is contact at the splines to over come and also .100" (2.5mm) gap to close the gap between the bell housing and transmission mounting surface.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
I have the short shaft on my TKO600 as well and the splines were hitting the pilot bearing before the trans was all the way mated to the bell.  My 428 crank seemed like it had a shallower pilot hole than my old 390.  I machined a step in the pilot and it works great.

That looks like a fairly simple solution and may be in my future. My installation requires approximately another .200" of clearance to bolt everything together. I plan to hydraulically jack the pilot bushing out of the crank and find out how deep the first step is and why the pilot bushing will not drive deeper into the crank flange. Trying to make up my mind whither to use bread or grease as the hydraulic medium.

Thanks for the picture, drdano.

I bought a pilot bearing puller from HarborCrap.  Ground the hooks slightly to fit the I.D. of the pilot.  Works like a champ and no grease explosion when the bearing pops out.

Clark Coe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2019, 05:33:49 PM »
Okay drdano, you have given me another excuse to purchase more new tools....thanks. The HF pilot bearing puller has favorable reviews. I forgot about the grease explosion mess. Also do not want to waste bread and not have any for my morning peanut butter toast and coffee breakfast.

One tool from HF that has been very handy for this project, is this Pittsburgh scissor transmission jack. $100 minus 20 percent coupon = $80. Simple to use. I am too old to lift transmissions into position by hand, or maybe I never was that strong, but I forget. Balancing a manual transmission on the floor jack has never been very successful for me, either.

I do not have a lift in my garage, so this little transmission jack works great for folks that have to work on cars sitting on jack stands. I have been laying on my back on the concrete quite a bit for this TKO 600 project.