Author Topic: New truck information  (Read 1456 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
New truck information
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
I finally traded in my 2001 f-150 for a2013 F-250 CNG truck.
It has the 6.2 engine and 6 speed auto.
I would like to know if there any problem areas that I should watch for as I have no experience with this engine.
Any thing I should watch out for?
Thanks
Greg

chris401

Re: New truck information
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
I finally traded in my 2001 f-150 for a2013 F-250 CNG truck.
It has the 6.2 engine and 6 speed auto.
I would like to know if there any problem areas that I should watch for as I have no experience with this engine.
Any thing I should watch out for?
Thanks
Greg
If you do not do your own work I advise to take it to someone well versed when it comes to the fuel system. I can recall three in my carrier that had the wrong people trying to diagnose and repair them. Two of them had the fuel gauges tampered with. The last one was from a dealership. The advantage I had over the previous techs was being slow. When you run like Molasses you tend to have more time to see the big picture and over think things.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
Thanks Chris
I do my own work,but am not a certified CNG mechanic.
I am going to have it serviced by a CNG certified shop in Edmond, Ok. 
Not worried about the gas part of the truck but what I was interested in if anyone who has owned a 6.2 has had any problems with it I should look out for.
It was like the 4.6 with the spark plug issue.
On all my 4.6s I carried a spark plug insert kit,new plugs and coils in my truck.
When a plug blew I would pull over to the side of the road and replace it there.
Got pertly good at it and could change one out in about 45 minutes. 
Greg

chris401

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
My dealership experience ended in 2006. I quit the busuness in 2011 and just missed the 2013. For the most part cars I worked on in the independent shop were 3 years old or older. I did notice the tire men had the new models in there bays early on.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 11:28:14 AM by chris401 »

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 01:40:39 PM »
I worked in dealer ships from 1970 till 1976 when I helped my best friend open an independent garage and went partners with him.
We stayed in business until 1999 and then closed up shop.
It was really hard to tell your old faithful customers that we couldn't work on their cars any more and the bad thing was that in our small town we could not recommend a quality shop for them to take their cars and trucks to.
Been out of the business since and just build old cars for my own enjoyment now.
Greg

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »
We have 20 or so service shop trucks with 6.2's in them at work. So far they have been pretty good. The transmissions are holding up well too. I also don't see many come into my own shop for work/big failures, usually just maintenance.

My experience with them has been good, I think it's probably the best OHC truck engine Ford has built. Just don't see them in the shop or out of service at work.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 05:49:18 PM »
Thanks
That is what I wanted to know. Lets my mine rest at ease.
If there were some innate problems with them I wanted to be for warned.
This is a CNG truck and with gas it get a little over 12 MPG.
I filled it up with CNG 2 days ago and so far it is getting 17.2 MPG.
I had all ways though that propane or CNG would get less MPG so am surprised at the MPG on this truck.
Greg