Author Topic: Heavy Car Timing  (Read 1440 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Heavy Car Timing
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:23:27 PM »
Continuing to fine tune the 4500 pound Thunderbird with gears 1/2 way between stock and strip.
She loves a little slower timing curve not sure on total timing yet.
MSD billet distributor, forget the color but advertised 19 degrees is really only good for 16 on my setup.
Likes a light and heavy silver spring, anything quicker on the curve is less ideal, it really woke up when I delayed it out to about 3000 RPM's.  Runs more smooth, stronger, and more lean, liking it so far but need another bushing change to get total a bit higher I think.  18 initial, 34 total.

Next up, 5.5 power valve, 70 secondary jets, might drop the primaries from 66 to 64, not sure yet, still need to restrict the slots a bit more as well for rich transition.

Just passing along info. for anyone playing with a heavy beast.  Gets kind of fun when getting close to that smooth hard pull that just sounds and feels right.

chris401

Re: Heavy Car Timing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
I found similar with my truck. 10° at idle burns a little hotter to cut emissions. By 1200 18° and 38° at 2900. 48° cruising on ported vacuum.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
Continuing to fine tune the 4500 pound Thunderbird with gears 1/2 way between stock and strip.
She loves a little slower timing curve not sure on total timing yet.
MSD billet distributor, forget the color but advertised 19 degrees is really only good for 16 on my setup.
Likes a light and heavy silver spring, anything quicker on the curve is less ideal, it really woke up when I delayed it out to about 3000 RPM's.  Runs more smooth, stronger, and more lean, liking it so far but need another bushing change to get total a bit higher I think.  18 initial, 34 total.

Next up, 5.5 power valve, 70 secondary jets, might drop the primaries from 66 to 64, not sure yet, still need to restrict the slots a bit more as well for rich transition.

Just passing along info. for anyone playing with a heavy beast.  Gets kind of fun when getting close to that smooth hard pull that just sounds and feels right.

Lean and loose should want more advance, rich and tight (high compression and/or tight quench quench) should want less.  It all depends on the setup
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

chris401

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »

Lean and loose should want more advance, rich and tight (high compression and/or tight quench quench) should want less.  It all depends on the setup
[/quote]

Most understand that not one setting fits all engines. Are there any MSD units that you guys prefer that are easy to adjust timing settings? Something similar to the Economy/Sport/Tow modes that are on some of the more modern vehicles would be really useful to a carbureted truck owner.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:39:59 PM »
Yes, most frustrating thing of all, carbs, distributors, and trans are hard to adjust for the most part.
Mechanically very simple yet we never managed to make them easily adjustable without opening them up.
Carbs have gotten better but still no reason all controls could not be externalized in my opinion.  I guess that is efi but old school carbs with some modern touches would be nice.  Oh well, once one gets it there it should stay so that helps.