Author Topic: Love the way truth always bubbles to the top: Air Filters  (Read 2919 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Love the way truth always bubbles to the top: Air Filters
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »
Anyone familiar with my postings knows I despise washable cotton fiber air intake filters. They do not filter well by any certified filter tests as are utilized in the Filter Industry.  I have been in the filter industry for decades I despise those in my industry who take advantage of the public's lack of filtration knowledge by using catch phrases such as: Filters down to ...., Removes 99% of dirt. etc.. The automotive washable filters in particular seem to be sold on pure bullshit advertising and lot$ of it.
      Today I was reading the April, Engine Builder magazine and had to chuckle on a statement from the featured cover article on Sprint Car Engines: "Scott Gressmen,  Gressman Powersports, after five or six races, the engines get a lot of dirt through them and could loose as much as 50 Horsepower."    Yes I know, the "Up To 50HP" sounds like the BS phrases above,  it's from an engine builder that may want to do a rebuild, but again chances are good he's witnessed lost power from dirt ingestion in short order.
     Personally I'd think a significant amount of ingested dirt could go right past the intake valves, do a quick trip or two around the chambers/cylinders and get shot out the exhaust w/o contacting any of the engines critical internal parts that could be harmed by being ground on or blasted by dirt. So think about it: How much dirt does an engine need to ingest to loose 50HP?   ..............Granted it's a Sprint Car, you expect dirt - because they live in it, but still five or six races.  Far as I'm concerned any power loss from ingestion of dirt is not exactly indicative of a good filter system. Here the engine builder himself is stating up to 50HP in a few races. Imagine a $35,-45,000 Sprint Car engine on a dyno and some clown starts pouring dirt in it until it loses fifty horsepower..  I'm thinking the most effected components would be rings, valve seats and cylinder walls?.............
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:50:45 PM by Qikbbstang »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Love the way truth always bubbles to the top: Air Filters
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
We've got AirSep washable filters at work....
I complained when they told me to use them.  I mean the engines are 10,000lbs and cost over $300k.  Most of the people cleaning/reoiling them have no experience doing so.

on another note BB, I know with diesel fuel injection (more my realm of experience) the actual size of debris has a bigger impact than anything.
Only certain sized debris would actually lodge in an area where it would cause damage.  Too big and it wouldn't fit, too small and it wouldn't be hitting both sides.

dp