Author Topic: Edelbrock FE Heads. 2.190 INT- 1.75 EXH. Okay with 4.155 bore?  (Read 1159 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
We had this discussion on another thread. Keith Black mentioned he was running them on his 428 with the 4.130 bore. Edelbrock has the valve on a different angle and spacing than the standard FE head as per Edelbrock.  I am hoping I don't have to notch the block.
The heads are done and I haven't returned home to pick everything up from the machinist. I am just looking for clarification.

-Keith

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock FE Heads. 2.190 INT- 1.75 EXH. Okay with 4.155 bore?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:42:20 PM »
Like I said before, I'm running 2.200 intakes and 1.750 exhaust valves in my edelbrock 6005 heads. They squeak by just fine even with over .750 lift in my 4.140 bore Fe. The heads were prepared with the plans of going on a 4.250 bore fe and they may still be.  However I did and certainly recommend notching the block anyway for clearance and un-shrouding  the valves.
Your best bet is to install a head with gasket and valves in one cylinder with light springs. This way you can check clearance at several different lifts and  also get yourself a good mark around valves in the cylinder so you can see where to ace your  "notches"  . I good fine carbide bit makes quick work but I prefer  using a round file to set my edges of the notch then use a cartridge roll and sneak up on it. Make them not only look like they belong but in the right position as well.
JMO and how I do it.
Good luck regardless.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock FE Heads. 2.190 INT- 1.75 EXH. Okay with 4.155 bore?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
Keith:
Thank you for replying. I sent you a PM.  I am time constrained for assembly and install.  I had a 427 long ago, but I don't remember where the notches were. I am dealing
with a .576 lift on the Exhaust side and .567 INT.
                                                                                                            -Keith