Author Topic: Oil thermostat  (Read 1471 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Oil thermostat
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
Installing an oil cooler, how many of you are using a thermostat?

I like the idea of it. Faster warm up and helping ensure the oil gets to temp to get rid of moisture. Looking at the ones that are built into the sandwich adapter for ease of plumbing. I don't think getting up to a high enough temp is really a concern tho, no winter driving and i would doubt the cooler would be capable of over cooling (Derale 25 Row).

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Oil thermostat
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:03:02 PM »
I use an Earl's sandwich cooler adapter.  Works as advertised.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »
I plan to run an oil cooler with the 427 I have going together on my current project, since I hope to use it in the future on Drag Week. I’m planning on using this Susa sandwich adapter with thermostat. Susa/Setrab are at the PRI show, so I’ve checked it out there and talked to the rep, they look like they have real high quality products. But I don’t have this together yet, so I don’t have any actual experience with it in use. There are other brands that are similar, I have no idea how they all compare. I have a large oil cooler I bought years ago I plan to use, so I thought the thermostat would be a good idea.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:30:28 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
Had not seen that particular one. Any idea how thick it is? Trying to stay with a normal sized filter if I can.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »
Setrab a Swedish company. Makes oilcoolers for everything from
healtcare to big Mining trucks. Is high quality stuff, or was when
produktion was in Sweden. Now they are made in Poland so i
dont know if its the same quality anymore. But haven`t heard
anything bad about them yet

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »
On my turbo Pinto with a 2300 motor, I used the adapter with a thermostat.

On my 427's I use a TransDapt block block bolted to the motor with 1/2" pipe ports. 10an lines to a remote oil filter before the cooler, then to the cooler and back to the motor with no thermostat.

Can't say I can tell an actual difference between using or not using the thermostat, but all OEM's that use an oil cooler separate from the engine use one.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
It looks as if Tommy and I have had the same sort of experience except that my Pinto, a '72, started out with a Weberized, etc., 2000 engine and then had a 466 SCJ installed. I, too, used a block with ports on my FE and used -12 to a remote Oberg filter and oil cooler. I didn't use a thermostatic valve, but always intended to. No problem without, it just seemed to make sense.

KS