Author Topic: Ford Fe Rear Engine Dragster  (Read 3259 times)

jcooper

• View Profile
Ford Fe Rear Engine Dragster
« on: June 26, 2019, 06:40:51 AM »
Prior to 2018, I had been running a 1964 Galaxie with a 445 FE in it running 11.50 in the 1/4. I always wanted to go faster but at 4,000lbs with driver we would always fight the weight. So, the Dragster was bought used rolling in fall of 2017. That winter we converted it from BBC to FORD FE powered. It took us engineering a few custom made parts and most of the winter to get it together. We chose to use our back-up engine as the break-in mule given we had a "new to dragster" driver and a uncommon combination. The Back-up engine was a 390 Ford FE, stock crank, trw pistons, .602 lift flat tappet cam, stock C4AE heads and a ford dual plane aluminum intake. Best pass first weekend out was 6.12 @111mph. We continued to adjust shift point, tire pressure, carb spacers and after a few weeks had it running around 5.95. Mid 2018, I installed the new trick flow single plane intake and picked up nearly a tenth. Best pass of 2018 was 5.82 @ 116 in optimal conditions. Over this past winter we decided that the dragster would be a perfect platform to gauge the impact of the new Trick flow heads. So over the winter we installed a new set of trick flow heads. Only change we had to made was to mill the rocker stands .200. Everything else stayed constant and our best pass to date is shown below. Our intention originally was to switch to a larger cubic inch motor year 2 but its been fun trying to see what we can squeeze out of our 390 test engine. Plus, in a sea of BBC dragsters its always fun to see people double take that it is in fact a ford, which in itself is odd in a dragster, but also an 390 FE!

**********************************************************************************************

Performance Summary:
      1/8 mile ET:  5.612             1/8 mile MPH:   120.56
      60 foot time:  1.242
      Track: Summit Motorsports Park (Norwalk, OH)

Vehicle Specifications: 2002 Gebhardt Hardtail 225"

Style: Rear Engine Dragster

Engine Details (link to post in Dyno Results board if available: 390 Ford FE, stock crank, trw pistons, .602 lift flat tappet cam, trick flow heads and intake

Transmission: Powerglide

Torque converter details (if automatic): Abruzzi 8"

Rear end type: Ford 9" Spool

Gear Ratio: 5.14

Ready-to-race vehicle weight, including driver:1800 lbs
Jerad Cooper
-2002 Dragster, 498 FE Powered
-1964 Galaxie XL, 427 FE Powered

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Ford Fe Rear Engine Dragster
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
Excellent it’s funny seeing an FE in there. Back in the day was there a lot of that. Even back then if it wasn’t a SOHC motor in pictures I don’t recall seeing any. Keep up th good work.

410bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:58 AM »
Man, that's super cool! Love seeing something different.  8)

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
Love it !! 2 tenths and 4 mph in the 1/8th is pretty decent

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
Now we need Werby to determine how quick and fast a stroker, say 450 CID or so, would go.

Bob Maag

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »
Love seeing the FE powered dragster, they’re a rare sight. A dragster would be a perfect application for a FE build with the new FE Power cylinder heads  ;D
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 12:01:11 PM »
It's great to see another FE powered dragster kicking some butt. I can't wait to see what your 445 will do.

57 lima bean

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
Really Cool!...Love the valve covers too. 8)

jcooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:19:13 AM »
The project has been a lot of fun and we have learned a lot from running it these past two years. It has been very consistent running usually can run all day with only a few hundredths fluctuation. The galaxie was fairly consistent when I was running it but you always had to be mindful of the wind given its large size. We have been contiplating some new engine combinations for next year already. I would like  to switch to a steel crank so we can feel more comfortable spinning it higher and would prefer to add some ci but as always it depends on $$$. Right now though I am enjoying the ride and having fun going rounds!
Jerad Cooper
-2002 Dragster, 498 FE Powered
-1964 Galaxie XL, 427 FE Powered

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 08:06:08 AM »
The project has been a lot of fun and we have learned a lot from running it these past two years. It has been very consistent running usually can run all day with only a few hundredths fluctuation. The galaxie was fairly consistent when I was running it but you always had to be mindful of the wind given its large size. We have been contiplating some new engine combinations for next year already. I would like  to switch to a steel crank so we can feel more comfortable spinning it higher and would prefer to add some ci but as always it depends on $$$. Right now though I am enjoying the ride and having fun going rounds!

Would be cool to contemplate a 6-71 blower on a stroker engine (or even the current engine) with a reduced C/R. Would not need to add a lot of boost and, like the old AA/Gas Dragster class of long ago, the car would be deadly consistent.

Besides....it would look cool as all hell! 
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
Jerod you will not hurt that cast crank spinning higher and a steel crank would be overkill . I have twisted my factory 428 cast crank 7000 + rpm for 20 years no problems